Precision Micrometer die sets - your recommendations

L.Sherman i have a 7mm,300prc w,5.5 /22 nightforce not high $$ but good shooting shoot what u can afford probably have more in this gun then u do in your motor vechiel

My wife doesn't care what I have nor do I care what she has.
I'm the only one who has a combo to my safe and its staying that way.
She asked me one time how many guns I have i said what does it matter our grandson gonna get them all one day, end of discussion.
LOL! My wife asked if she could have the combo to the safes. Sure! Gave her a tour of the safes, showed her the book where I keep all the gun values recorded. Both safes are stuffed to the gills. She says, "looks crowded, but there's some space so you can still add more."
I added a laser to one of my 9mm's. She liked it, asked if she could trade "her" 1911 for the 9. Heck yes! Both of us happy....

I, too, use both Redding and Forster Micrometer seaters, very happy with both.
I modify or turn my own seater plugs for the Forster, as the standard one's are too thin and lend themselves to flaring at the mouth. I either turn/grind them down or make new one's to suit my bullets.
There really is no need to have the plug go as deep on the bullet as the Forster does.
I would like to try Whidden for my new 6.5SAUM I'm building, but getting them to Australia is ridiculous.

Cheers.
Whidden's are worth it. What are you being quoted for shipping? Not trying to hijack the thread but curious.

LOL! My wife asked if she could have the combo to the safes. Sure! Gave her a tour of the safes, showed her the book where I keep all the gun values recorded. Both safes are stuffed to the gills. She says, "looks crowded, but there's some space so you can still add more."
I added a laser to one of my 9mm's. She liked it, asked if she could trade "her" 1911 for the 9. Heck yes! Both of us happy....
Wanna trade wives?

I like the Forster Benchrest seater and Redding Competition seater. The mechanisms are very similar. Both are excellent and both companies have very good support. The Redding has a more robust seating stem though. The Forster seater, as was mentioned, is kinda thin. It can split if you have excessive neck tension or are trying to seat with compressed charges. The Redding seems to handle those situations a little better.

Their are two really good books on reloading. Glen D. Zediker's ( A competition center fire shooter) book titled Handloading for Competition and The practical guide to Reloading by Nathan Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research. Both of these books are well written and explain handloading tools why you need them and the pit falls associated in reloading center fire ammunition. The two books are organized differently and Glen Zediker's, is more detailed. Both are well worth the money and will save you money by knowing what to buy and why. Thay both discuss different brands and why thay like some brands better than others for individual tools. Both have an extensive discussion of Die's. I have been handing loading over 50 years and learned a lot from both books.

Their are two really good books on reloading. Glen D. Zediker's ( A competition center fire shooter) book titled Handloading for Competition and The practical guide to Reloading by Nathan Foster of Terminal Ballistics Research. Both of these books are well written and explain handloading tools why you need them and the pit falls associated in reloading center fire ammunition. The two books are organized differently and Glen Zediker's, is more detailed. Both are well worth the money and will save you money by knowing what to buy and why. Thay both discuss different brands and why thay like some brands better than others for individual tools. Both have an extensive discussion of Die's. I have been handing loading over 50 years and learned a lot from both books.
Might add Zediker's book "Top Grade Ammo" to the list. I find I have to read it in small chunks to digest it, but as stated above - again, great info.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.