Prairie dog hunts

Scott, I too got bit by the suppressor bug! I have eight as well; but so far, not one on order.
Dogz, I would love to try your fat buggers one day; but I doubt I can make it out there again. I used to hunt deer and antelope around Forsythe, Mt. with a bow. Did that for about ten years. Loved it! Got fond memories....

woodnut...... If its ok with joining you, I would not hesitate to be ther the four days and dates already set up.I'd travel with my wife and she would love to just hang out at lodge while we shoot but would go out if room her too is possible. give me a holla to discuss sir.... 1(559)250-5197 text or call , would br great.... Thank you Scott

Wayne
Good afternoon
Personally I think the best PD hunts are with you and a really good friend. I could not do a hunt with 6-10 other shooters that I didn't know.
I used to hunt SD on private ranches, never with a guide service and some of the best hunting and friendship trips.
I have not been in years, but will look up some information on PD Hunting areas.
There are probably many LRH members that have access to lots of land to hunt and know the areas to go to in 2023. A lot of shooters don't want to give up their hunting areas, but maybe some will PM you and give some guidance.
There are several hunts I want to do as soon as I can get my spinal cord fixed.
1. A good Prong Horn Hunt
2. A good 3-5 days of PD hunting on a private Ranch. (two rifles, 2K rounds, a RASS, Shooting chair, and Bi pods. Also a cast iron skillet and plenty of Tabasco!
3. Get back to NE PA for some Chuck Hunting. We have probably 50 Farms in the GPS that we hunted over 30 years. A lot of those farms and fields are gone now due to "Fracking" . The best farms to hunt were active Dairy Farms. They had the best hay fields due to cow manure. A lot of the Farmers got paid $$$$$$$$$ for their land in Leases from NG & Oil Companies. NO MORE DAIRY. Also some great trout fishing at night after Chuck hunting.
You will get some good info on where to start looking for PD from LRH members.
Len & Jill
I've only went one time in SE Colorado, There was three of us shooting, but there was only a couple hundred dogs. Seems like Game & Fish came through and poisoned them out. As I went with my brother in law and he had not been for at least three or four years and at that time he said there were THOUSANDS.
I too was lucky to shoot off a R.A.S.S. Bench. IN fact I'm looking to buy another one. Since the {PD's seem to be limited, we too are looking for another shoot. Since Brother had some medical problem that has go worse, not sure if I will be able to go again as he knew where to go. Since that time and I like precision shooting once a month if the weather is good and we have and RSO. I think I'll take up coyote hunting so I don't have to drive 1,000 miles. But I will be happy to go to wyo, sd, mt if there was some really good shooting! Maybe we should hook up. I'm 72 and can't do a lot of walking but just bought a Side X Side used. Ready & willing!

Montana doesn't have permits for shooting prairie dogs, it's free and no sales tax to boot. We use .17 HMR, .223, 6.5 Creed, .260 A.I., and even a .30 magnum once in a while.
I love my .17 CZ HMR shooting off a RCBS R.A.S.S. Bench. I might have missed one or two out at 200 yards due to the wind. Other than that, It smoked them Dogs. Unfortunately where we went, there was only a couple hundred in three says of shooting in several different locations. Looking for another state or location to give it another whirl.

Our instructions from the owner is to kill every dog we see. If you can shoot to 300 yards the game is on all day.
If you don't mind me asking where is the "ALL DAY SHOOTING" at. I drove 1,000 miles last year from southern AZ to SE Colorado. On a three day shoot we only saw a couple hundred. I'm up for another 1,000 miles if there is better PD' shooting. I use the .17 HMR and a 223, and 243. Hooked after only one time. HAve Side X Side, can travel!

Pretty much have given up on PD hunts. Hunted several years in a row with Sagebrush Outfitters near Dalhart, TX and one year into N.M. We were given a VERY hard to understand map and pretty much told, have at it. We saw some PD's but only one pasture with a BUNCH but it was off limits. Just too far of a drive to take maybe 30 shots at about 600 yards and hitting a few. Probably had a few "honey Hole" pastures but we never saw them. Living near Dallas, just too far for too little.
Nice set up. I've been thinking of a DEATH GRIP for coyotes.

I used a Pig Saddle for awhile and it worked fine. Essentially the same thing as the Death Grip. I switched everything over to arca rails last year and I like it much better.
72 and way over weight, I have to stand or sit. I can't get up from the ground easy

Rosebud, sounds familiar. Believe my dad got to shoot a few of those hunts, just remember him having a good time with 200 round days and lots of good company meeting new friends in the evenings. When we shot around Sierra Blanca, TX we would use .22's for first 50 shots, then work our way out the rest of the day. I appreciate the guide names. Don't need a ride or guide, just were to find them, but guides would not bother me. Thanks for all the great feed back, getting itchy to do some hunting.

72 and way over weight, I have to stand or sit. I can't get up from the ground easy
I agree. By using a tripod with an arca rail, I can adjust the height any where I need it. Very fast and easy to slip the rifle into the leveling head with the arca rail attached. I do a lot of standing and when the knees start aching, I sit in a chair and adjust the tripod accordingly. I never lay on the ground any more.

If you don't mind me asking where is the "ALL DAY SHOOTING" at. I drove 1,000 miles last year from southern AZ to SE Colorado. On a three day shoot we only saw a couple hundred. I'm up for another 1,000 miles if there is better PD' shooting. I use the .17 HMR and a 223, and 243. Hooked after only one time. HAve Side X Side, can travel!
Northcentral Montana.