Prairie dog hunts

There are many rodents in Montana & much BLM (land) acres in the NE part of state. A good start would be a combo of BLM (land) maps & Google Earth. The rodent dens, dirt mounds, can be spotted at satellite orbiting altitudes using Google Earth. The CCP balloon would have observed much rodent activity in April - June.

Montana's apex rodent, the yellow-bellied marmot, AKA rockchuck may also be found near alfalfa fields eating alfalfa.

Photo of rockchuck on public golf course (no shoot) in suburban western Montana - this is what they look like
I indulge in the sport shooting prairie dogs, occasionally, with 1,000 or more-mile round trips, but motel rates are low in the tiny rural towns. IMG_1712.JPG

Last edited:
I think most of PD shoots are " guided " now, because most of the PD's have been poisoned and the remaining are on lands that are leased up. You simply won't find good shooting on public lands these days. If 10 shots before noon, past 400 yds is what you're after, then I will concede that point.

I pay a " guide " because I get to shoot unpressured dogs starting at 100 yds with my bow and little 17 wildcats. Then work my way out. I won't even share what state it's in...and if my wife goes, she has to wear a blindfold for the drive out and back to town. Loose lips sink ships!!
very true words

Back in the mid 90's the Rosebud Reservation in S.D. was the holy grail of pd shooters. My dad, myself, and a gunsmith friend from Utah hunted the Rosebud several years in a row. It was easy, find someone at home and ask permission. We had incredible shoots every year. Then they started requiring an indian guide and things went downhill. We stopped stopped going. Then in about 2010 my dad got the bug again and we started going again. We've shot mainly in Wyo. with guide services. A couple years ago my dad, myself, and my son went to S.D. I think it was Medicine Creek Outfitters.
We got into some bad weather first couple days and shooting was a little tough. But the 3rd day we had a pretty good shoot. Last year we went back to Wyo. just my dad and I, and had a good trip. I don't recall the name of the guide. These days, if you have to travel out of state, and don't have good connections, it's best to go with a guide service.

I grew up shooting gophers on the ranch and many neighboring ranches until the PDs took over and then that became the norm. Still go out to these ranches and shoot as many and whenever I want to. I guess I should count myself lucky, the owners said we were doing them a favor. A couple of these ranches lease out one week of the year to some rich outa state dudes but it still just seems crazy to me that someone would pay a guide/outfitter to shoot prairie dogs. Hopefully these ranches never hear about this.

Wayne, there's two ways to go: guided or unguided. Outfitter or on yer own. I've done it both ways and can tell you it's much better to stay at a outfitters lodge and be guided!
I have been to Kansas and while there's a lot of dog towns close to Dodge City, the outfitter I had was terrible. I've been going to S.D. for over ten years and been unguided and stayed at a couple lodges. By far the best is Prairie Highlands Lodge. He has Indian guides as required in the Rosebud. I have NEVER had a bad hunt and the lodge and food is wonderful! I can't recommend him high enough. Unguided is a hit or miss; gotta bring all the gear to set up to shoot from; and find a place to stay. By the time you lug all the gear, pay the nights lodging costs, the food costs, get frustrated over trying to find dog towns worth going to,; you'll find it's a whole lot better to pay a couple more dollars and have a great time. Seriously, check out Prairie Highlands Lodge , near Winner,S.D.

woodnut ........ would you suggest a good time of the year/month to make a plan to book with PHL in SD? and how long in advance to possibly book with them as well. thank you sir for any advise you wanna share. NSN

Scott, late June is best time. Earlier is rainy and they quit hunting PDs in July. Too hot! He has a web site you can get more info. As to how far ahead, I booked last year for this June! He could have an opening, just have to check.
His wife is a gourmet chef! You will love the foods she prepares. It's a beautiful lodge, too.
I go for 4 days. Too far to go for just 3 as rain could whack a day. I have had that happen when I booked in early June.
Hope this helps!

There are many rodents in Montana & much BLM (land) acres in the NE part of state. A good start would be a combo of BLM (land) maps & Google Earth. The rodent dens, dirt mounds, can be spotted at satellite orbiting altitudes using Google Earth. The CCP balloon would have observed much rodent activity in April - June.

Montana's apex rodent, the yellow-bellied marmot, AKA rockchuck may also be found near alfalfa fields eating alfalfa.

Photo of rockchuck on public golf course (no shoot) in suburban western Montana - this is what they look like
I indulge in the sport shooting prairie dogs, occasionally, with 1,000 or more-mile round trips, but motel rates are low in the tiny rural towns.View attachment 438125

Chucks are where it's at for me, I have a handful of really good rockchuck properties. Great long range practice, elk rifles only!

No tables or anything silly like that either.

0-200 offhand
200-300 sitting
300 plus sticks or bipod

With the elevation changes from shot to shot far and away some great practice.

Best year so far, 457 of the fat buggers:)

Yesiree. me too!! I have gone over the deep end over suppressed in the last three years. first three were a .22/.223/.308 I'm now at eight and two more in jail, release date,....... bout a month ago!! Figures,Ha!! We are getting heavy rain today and poss. snow at anytime, sooo, planning this June dealio is a welcome distraction.....