Prairie Dog Hunting in Denver Area

jgal72

I will accompanying my wife to her work conference in Denver the first week of August. Can anybody recommend a place to hunt prairie dogs. Would like to keep it within 50 mile radius of Denver. Guided or unguided. I have 2 days to burn while she goes to meetings. Thanks in advance!

Drive north into wyoming and just start asking, you will find a place. Wyoming will probably be a little more friendly than Denver.

Well if he wants to shoot some P.D he may have to look outside his 50 mile radius.
It's only I think about 100 miles to wyoming border.

Looks like within 50 miles of Denver is not realistic. Just thought with so many prairie dogs around Denver airport there might be a outfitter in the vicinity. Going to SE Wyoming wouldn't be that far. Any recommendations in the Cheyenne area?

Contact Wyoming F@G or BLM they might have a list of Ranchs or Land you can shoot on. I recommend a map also or GPS.

You aren't going to find them within 50 miles of Denver (or at least I haven't). There are some prairie dogs up near Cheyenne. Not too far for a day trip if you either find some on public land or someone willing to let you shoot them.

Contact Wyoming F@G or BLM they might have a list of Ranchs or Land you can shoot on. I recommend a map also or GPS.
If you find a private ranch that allows you to hunt. Ask about how often it gets hunted. Ask about their poison usage and other methods of prairie dog eradication. It sucks the fun out to make a trip and find out it has been hunted for the past 10 days straight.

I believe that it it is illegal to hunt dogs on public lands in CO. You will need to find a guide or outfitter that has a lease or acesss to private land. There are not a lot of options within 50 miles of Denver but WY is heaven.

I saw there is Milliron TJ Outfitting near Cheyenne WY. They do PD hunts. I am going to contact them. You can even rent one of their rifles. Anybody have any experience with them?

Check out longmeadow in Wiggins (1 hour east if denver) a friend went there once and said is was ok.

Private property is year round, public property has a season (I think its june-feb) -- price for non res small game tag was $56, it may have gone up for 2019 season, haven't seen the book yet. Also need a $10 wildlife stamp and must have a hunters safety card from CO or your state of choice.

Like a lot of the folks have already recommended, head north to WY. I've found them on public land throughout the state in my travels. Plenty of state land and BLM land so you should be able to have a good experience. Going the guide route or paying for access is always an option if you're time limited.