Prairie dog hunting in Texas

klemm

Have a business trip in Rio Hondo Texas next week. Wondering if there are any prairie dogs to shoot in that area. Weather is supposed to be in the 80s I know it's early in the year but will they be out?

Maybe look around for some hogs, there are plenty of them down there

Thanks

Buck
I know this is really and old post, but hope you are still reading. Last June 2022, shot PD'd in S.E. Colorado. Very few PD's were left. Most had been poisoned. It was & wasn't wothe the 800 mile drive and three nights in motel. BUt I did have a good time. Only a few hundred. My Brother in law said 5 years ago it was shoot sun up to sun down. Hoping you might now know of any other place where there is thousands, not a couple hundred.. Don't mid the drive if there is LOTS of shooting.

I know this is really and old post, but hope you are still reading. Last June 2022, shot PD'd in S.E. Colorado. Very few PD's were left. Most had been poisoned. It was & wasn't wothe the 800 mile drive and three nights in motel. BUt I did have a good time. Only a few hundred. My Brother in law said 5 years ago it was shoot sun up to sun down. Hoping you might now know of any other place where there is thousands, not a couple hundred.. Don't mid the drive if there is LOTS of shooting.
Dalhart Texas, I will try and find the guides number, may take a while though, but you can search Prairie Dog hunts for Dalhart Texas and several will come up. We hunted on 7 sections north of Dalhart, and it was non stop action, better take lots of ammo, had 500 rounds of 204 and we shot every one of them, plus 100 rounds of 225 Winchester and bunch of 243 as well. The only time you are not shooting is when you drive to the next set up. Try to go in the spring (mid to late April) when the pups have hatched, I've been up there 3 times and it was great every time.
There are a couple of outfitters in Lubbock as well, never been on a hunt there, but have heard its pretty good too.

Dalhart Texas, I will try and find the guides number, may take a while though, but you can search Prairie Dog hunts for Dalhart Texas and several will come up. We hunted on 7 sections north of Dalhart, and it was non stop action, better take lots of ammo, had 500 rounds of 204 and we shot every one of them, plus 100 rounds of 225 Winchester and bunch of 243 as well. The only time you are not shooting is when you drive to the next set up. Try to go in the spring (mid to late April) when the pups have hatched, I've been up there 3 times and it was great every time.
There are a couple of outfitters in Lubbock as well, never been on a hunt there, but have heard its pretty good too.
I really appreciate your reply. I lly don't want to pay outfitters when we are doing them. what you might call a favor! If that is the case, I would rather pay the Farmer/Rancher a few $$ direct. Thedy are the ones that FEED AMERICA. Along with, Like me, Long haul trucker. (retired after 28 years of the OTR over the road) Now 71 and enjoying Trap, Skeet, and Plinking!

I really appreciate your reply. I lly don't want to pay outfitters when we are doing them. what you might call a favor! If that is the case, I would rather pay the Farmer/Rancher a few $$ direct. Thedy are the ones that FEED AMERICA. Along with, Like me, Long haul trucker. (retired after 28 years of the OTR over the road) Now 71 and enjoying Trap, Skeet, and Plinking!
Well its a business up in the Panhandle, most of the good property is taken by paying customers and there is no public land other than the national grass lands that are just north of where we were, you might try that.