Practice reamer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Is there such a thing?

I don't know of any thing called a "Practice" reamer, But there are practice chambers.

I recommend finding a used or take off barrel (Preferably stainless) and setting it up in the lathe.
find a reamer (A good one is recommended so you can see the results when you do it right).

A good chamber doesn't need polishing so cut some of the shank (One thread at a time) and cut a new chamber and repeat this process until you have a chamber that has no defects.

It just takes practice and craftsmanship

Hear is a link to a good gun smithing book That will help.
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current catalog/May 2013 Catalog.pdf (Page 25).

J E CUSTOM

I don't know of any thing called a "Practice" reamer, But there are practice chambers.

I recommend finding a used or take off barrel (Preferably stainless) and setting it up in the lathe.
find a reamer (A good one is recommended so you can see the results when you do it right).

A good chamber doesn't need polishing so cut some of the shank (One thread at a time) and cut a new chamber and repeat this process until you have a chamber that has no defects.

It just takes practice and craftsmanship

Hear is a link to a good gun smithing book That will help.
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Current catalog/May 2013 Catalog.pdf (Page 25).

J E CUSTOM
Have the book. Have not cracked it yet. Have some take offs. Watching for more.

Best reamer I have to use is the 277/26-Nosler as I will never make another one but I don't have a 277 take off barrel yet.

Cut a test piece all of the time. I will take a piece of a blank somebody cut off or I have cut off and ream it or cut a thread pattern I havnt done before to check the fit in the action and make adjustments if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.