7saum Reamer Print

.150 freebore will be fine for 180 hybrids. but any other bullet will be deep in your case that is leaving you very limited

.150 freebore will be fine for 180 hybrids. but any other bullet will be deep in your case that is leaving you very limited

So you are suggesting greater than .150 freebore. What is your suggestion for having the ability to shoot more than one bullet without having it shoved way down in case? There has to be a decent compromise...right?

.180 min that will leave about one caliber length of bearing surface in neck with .030 jump. which is a pretty good spot. your 180VLD, 195EOL, 175 ELD-X, 180 ELD-M all will need .200 or better. the 7SAUM is not tough on throats you will chase a little but pretty slowly

.180 min that will leave about one caliber length of bearing surface in neck with .030 jump. which is a pretty good spot. your 180VLD, 195EOL, 175 ELD-X, 180 ELD-M all will need .200 or better. the 7SAUM is not tough on throats you will chase a little but pretty slowly

How many rounds are we talking down the barrel before I couldent shoot the 180 hybrid? After that, I assume I could shoot a bullet like the VLDH or eld x with the longer bearing surface? Geeezzzz, never thought it would be this tough to decide on something without limitating myself to one bullet....Then again the 7saum is a killer in a short action....I guess .180 freebore in a long action is better than the confines of a shorter throat and a short action.....idk...

if you are going to use h-1000 like you said before on your other thread. I would say 800-1000 rounds. I am using h-1000 with 195 EOLS after 280 rounds it moved .001 in my new barrel but the barrel has been nitrated.

if you are going to use h-1000 like you said before on your other thread. I would say 800-1000 rounds. I am using h-1000 with 195 EOLS after 280 rounds it moved .001 in my new barrel but the barrel has been nitrated.

And what was your freebore on this rifle?

I went thru this with my 7WSM,for me what it all boiled down to is what I wanted out of the rifle and which bullet will be the most efficient. I settled in with the 168 vld, it was flatter than the 180 in the range I built it for, lil less recoil. I looked at all the bullets and did the math and even to 1000 yards the 168 looked better than the heavies in that chambering . my reamer is .168 FB for a .250 seated actually it is .240 with the trim at 2.1 inch, my reamer is 2.11. but that being said, it wouldnt bother me at all to seat it out a bit on the rsaum cartridge. that .324 neck length gives you that advantage of looking at different bullets, where I only had .240 to work with. but like I said when I crunched the numbers I went to the 168 and that is my go to hunter.
Good Luck :)

Have to comment on the great service that I received from Dave Manson. I ordered my 7saum reame with .180" freebore just a little over 2 weeks ago. I was quoted an 8-10 week lead time. Much to my surprise, the reamer arrived today. Very quick and very helpful!

Yeah, I was shocked! Thanks, I'll post results when it's done. Shipped reamer to GAP yesterday.
I'm in the same situation that you were a couple years ago. I'm getting ready to do a 7 saum build myself. I want to shoot 175 berger EH or 175 ABLR and keep the bullet ahead of the NSJ and also have .020 jump. How did yours turn out? How did the .180 freebore work out for you?

You can not just calculate free bore based off your loaded round unless you actually do the trigonometry to decipher where the lead is going to touch the bullet at the ogive. Neck length of the cartridge will have a relatively small effect on the needed freebore to keep the boat tail junction above the donut area but generally speaking you are going to want .200" freebore for the Berger 180s. The 190 and 195 as well as the Hornady bullets will need roughly .050 more.

You can not just calculate free bore based off your loaded round unless you actually do the trigonometry to decipher where the lead is going to touch the bullet at the ogive. Neck length of the cartridge will have a relatively small effect on the needed freebore to keep the boat tail junction above the donut area but generally speaking you are going to want .200" freebore for the Berger 180s. The 190 and 195 as well as the Hornady bullets will need roughly .050 more.
Thank you for your response. I plan on shooting 175 gr noslers and bergers, or possibly 168 gr VLD. Would you still throat it out to .200?

Thank you for your response. I plan on shooting 175 gr noslers and bergers, or possibly 168 gr VLD. Would you still throat it out to .200?
I would. I feel .200 is great for 168 Bergers up to 180 Bergers. Like I said the 190 and 195 are longer with more bearing surface as is the case with the Hornady bullets. They would likely shoot in your chamber but they would not be optimal.