Ppu brass longevity

Calvin45

hey all, I've participated in a few conversations on lrh since joining a few days ago, but this is my first thread.

I'm asking for experiences regarding the case life of ppu brass. Mine is for .300 win mag. I was dubious it would be as good as rem/fed/win brass, but to my surprise, I think it might be better. It has no discernible difference in internal volume from my Winchester cases. It is softer, and primer pockets may open up easier, however I observe they start out tighter in the first place. Biggest surprise is that weight from case to case is way more uniform than Winchester. But all of the ppu I have is either virgin, or only one it's second or third firing. What's your experience with case life? It's not as soft as federal, and I think being softer than Winchester it might actually be less susceptible to neck splitting. What do you think?

I cant say that I have a ton of firings on any of my PPU brass... BUT I agree with everything you've said. PPU is as good as most domestic brass. I've actually had very good luck with it.

I buy Lapua brass when it's available in the clambering I'm shooting. If Lapua is not available, I wouldnt hesitate to buy PPU.

But dont let the word get out. We dont need the price going up! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.