worried about ppu brass

GW Hunter

I'm loading for a buddies 7mm rem mag (savage factory rifle). He needed new brass because the primer pockets in his hornady brass became loose after 3 firings. All he could find was Prvi Partizan brass. First thing I did was measure neck walls and couldn't believe how bad they were considering most reviews I saw were pretty good regarding the brand. All of them were .0100" at their thinnest and some up to .0135" at the thickest. I skimmed turned them to even that out a bit and now I am worried that may have been a mistake. When I ran them through his standard RCBS die to be able to set neck tension, the brass didn't make any contact. The neck dimensions didn't change. Right now the neck tension is .002". Once these get fired and resized I'm worried that the tension will be less than that using this die. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks...

Have used PPU brass in 22H, 7x57, 7x57R, 7x64R, 9.3x62, 308 and 30-06. It was all very good brass and has lasted really well. I even used it ti neck down to 17HH because it made WAY better brass than Hornady factory stuff. I have never necked turned any of it and I don't anneal except for reformed brass, and I pretty much neck size everything. I have 22 H with 15 firings and 7x57 that is going on 10. I have some 308 that is on 12 firings, also have Lapua brass and the group sizes don't improve any with the Lapua brass in the same gun. Don't see the point in paying triple when it doesn't show up on the target.

I've found PPU 7mm Remington brass to be of good quality, but...it was 14% heavier than Winchester brass and I had to adjust the powder charge down (about 1.5 grs. or so with H4831) to get the same velocity I was getting with Winchester. This is based on one batch of 50 new cases only. I don't know if all their brass is heavy.

I've found PPU 7mm Remington brass to be of good quality, but...it was 14% heavier than Winchester brass and I had to adjust the powder charge down (about 1.5 grs. or so with H4831) to get the same velocity I was getting with Winchester. This is based on one batch of 50 new cases only. I don't know if all their brass is heavy.
It is. Capacity tends to be less and thicker brass. I think that is part of why it lasts so long. Lapua brass tends to be close in weight and internal capacity to PPU.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.