Powder Test 7mm Rem Mag

270 wsm. I shot a whitetail doe broadside at ~100yards, 130 gr BT hit rib just above heart, exit was a ragged 3.5" whole. The stomach was ruptured, made for a crappy gut job. Pun intended. It wasn't from sprawl. DRT
I shot a muley buck at 50 yards quartering hard to me with a Berger 130 vld-h, hit his front shoulder, destroyed that whole front shoulder, put a 3-4" whole into his chest cavity, no exit, he went 25 yards.
A buddy used my rifle for a cow elk hunt, I went along to help. 130 gr BT hit her at ~100 yards, facing us slightly quartering left, hit just above the brisket/bottom of neck. Bullet went just under hide, created a hole I could put a fist in and then went 22-24",stopping at the last rib on opposite side, never hit bone. It was a blizzard at 7800 ft altitude, I didn't recover the bullet. She went 49 paces. That shot made me start reconsidering the 130 BT's. It killed her well, blew up the arteries going to head, deflated her lungs. But it made me think, what if it had hit her square in the shoulder bone? It may not have got to the vitals, may have idk. But that made me decide to switch to a 129 gr LRX.
Am not downing the BT's or Bergers, I just decided to use a bullet designed to pedal and push through, cause less damage, and exit more. In slower cartridges, a BT would be great imo.
Why are you gutting them?? 😁

Depended on the guy and what he wanted, and also how close to the camp we were and if a truck could get to the animal. Some guys just do not like to Indian Skin an animal(quarters cut off, back straps, meat boned off the neck).

Just imagine being in an area that is loaded with Black bears and Lions, and the guy wants to hang the animal up in a tree. I carried 4 boxes of Mothballs in a pack for this kind of occasion and spread a box around the camp. I learned this trick from a Retired New Mexico Forest Ranger who did a lot of trail maintenance with pack animals.

Last edited:
I came from the P.I., we don't throw anything away... ask @FEENIX , he can probably cook up some good stuff with those two tender muscles.
I dont throw much away either, draw the line at tripe (stomach) and most intestants. Growing up, we would only eat intestants of baby milkfed lambs and goats. Hearts, lungs, liver, kidneys, wine, onions and tomatoes, make a great stew.

I settled on RL26 for the Federal Terminate Assent 155gr.
Very good accuracy.
67.7 resulted in heavy bolt lift
67.3 Great accuracy and 3100-3120 spread.
I think RL 25 would be as good ,but saving what I have of that for 6.5RPM

I settled on RL26 for the Federal Terminate Assent 155gr.
Very good accuracy.
67.7 resulted in heavy bolt lift
67.3 Great accuracy and 3100-3120 spread.
I think RL 25 would be as good ,but saving what I have of that for 6.5RPM
RL26 is like unicorn farts around here

Easier to find chicken teeth and frog hair 😁