7mm rem mag powder recommendations

I shot a couple of does with vlds at close range that I had to shoot many times. The holes were just pencil holes.

I must have loaded too hot, stood too close, and shot them in the wrong spot. I aim for the lungs.

I know a lot of other guys are doing ok with VLDs.
No complaints about the group size with VLD, they looked good on the targets.

I had over 100,000 gun forum posts before there was a www for gun forums.
I have seen it all, and I know that terminal ballistics boils down to a tiny set of anecdotes with out of control variables.

thanks clark. Thats very strange with your results with the vlds. I don't have the experience others do with the vlds but some say they have had issues at the closer ranges say inside of 100 yards. This is only a guess.

appreciate your input

Brian

I shot an 8 foot grizzly bear in the chest at 200 yards last year that took his dirt nap from the 180 VLD. Plus, two other black bears met their demise from the same loads. No problems with the 180 here.

Was that from a standard 7 rem mag? Or either stw or rum??

What velocity did you get those 180's to?

Grizzly. Nice job. Any pictures?

Brian

I'm working with 7828 and 162Amax right now... Accuracy during break in looked good and I should have some speeds soon. Not sure about using Amax on game tho...

I'm working with 7828 and 162Amax right now... Accuracy during break in looked good and I should have some speeds soon. Not sure about using Amax on game tho...

While I don't have Amax's I do have 162 Hornady Spire point that I will give a try too. I also have that 7828 so I will be working on this one also. Good luck with yours

Brian

With the Scirrocos, I shoot RL 22. For 24" barrels it seems 67 grains works well. With the 26" barrels, some take up to 68 grains. Just depends on the gun. I shoot the hotter load in my gun and get 3/4" groups at 3250. I've killed probably around a dozen elk with this load.

Marble sorry to bug you more just like the rest of you guys but how was the bullet performance? Were they complete pass through and you how was the damage to the elks engine room?

Also if you recovered them did it have a nice mushroom?

Also what distance to you shoot them at?

Thanks

Brian

Tikka 7mm 24" barrel, I load 70gr Retumbo @ 3.34 with Berger 168 vld, .005 off the lands. On ave. I get .75" groups at 3000fps. The last 3 elk I shot were the following, #1 bull 465yds one shot went 20yds and down, #2 bull 520yds one shot he did a 180 and I shot one more time and down he went, last elk #3 cow 550yds 10 steps and she went down. Very happy with that load and those bergers! I will say my 12 year old drew a buffalo tag here in MT. This past year And shot a big ***** bull at 100yds 7 times with the same load, 4 in the chest, 2 in the shoulder, last one in the neck dropped him, I heard every shot hit! I actually think the Hyde and bone were too think and the bullet was coming apart too soon! None the less I will still shoot that load, very happy with it.

Tikka 7mm 24" barrel, I load 70gr Retumbo @ 3.34 with Berger 168 vld, .005 off the lands. On ave. I get .75" groups at 3000fps. The last 3 elk I shot were the following, #1 bull 465yds one shot went 20yds and down, #2 bull 520yds one shot he did a 180 and I shot one more time and down he went, last elk #3 cow 550yds 10 steps and she went down. Very happy with that load and those bergers! I will say my 12 year old drew a buffalo tag here in MT. This past year And shot a big ***** bull at 100yds 7 times with the same load, 4 in the chest, 2 in the shoulder, last one in the neck dropped him, I heard every shot hit! I actually think the Hyde and bone were too think and the bullet was coming apart too soon! None the less I will still shoot that load, very happy with it.

Yeah for deer and elk type game the 168 vlds are good. But for buff I think I would of went with TTSX or A frame or bearclaw. Big THICK animal for sure. Thats some good shooting on those elk.

Was that from a standard 7 rem mag? Or either stw or rum??

What velocity did you get those 180's to?

Grizzly. Nice job. Any pictures?

Brian

Yup, standard 9 twist 28" 7RM. I normally run the 180s at 3050 fps with Retumbo, but that bear was shot with my RL33 load sending a 180 at 3120 fps.

Brentc, I just purchased a Cooper 7mm with a 1:9 twist, looking forward to trying the 180's, I've loaded with Retumbo for my 168's, how's your accuracy with the RL33, I live in Montana so I like the Retumbo for the temp changes! P.S. That's a sweet bear! That's a bucket list hunt for me!

Brentc, I just purchased a Cooper 7mm with a 1:9 twist, looking forward to trying the 180's, I've loaded with Retumbo for my 168's, how's your accuracy with the RL33, I live in Montana so I like the Retumbo for the temp changes! P.S. That's a sweet bear! That's a bucket list hunt for me!

The RL33 load shot surprisingly well in the 7RM with 180s.

4831-7828 re19-re22 are the powders I give first trys to in the 7 mag. if I had to pick only one it would be h4831sc. I don't shoot anything heavier then 160s and normaly use 150s so anything slower is just using more powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.