Powder Test 7mm Rem Mag

Calvin, I have heard rumors of R#23, never seen any in person. I would like a minimum of two, five-pounders for a start!

I was talking to an advanced ballistician once and the discussion came up about pressure in low temps, He told me that there could be pressure spikes in temps below minus 25*F.

153 / 154. As far as burn rate goes they are essentially the same. Typically we don't get big swings in temperature here on the Gulf Coast of TX. 30 - 100 vs sub zero to 100 in NW New Mexico (for instance).

Most of us here in TX would be adamant that jacket weather starts at 50 degrees because that's when water freezes in Texas :D
For all you gentlemen in the warm climate here in Maine is what we think of tempatures

1695561512822.png

Back to the regular programming.

Apology to the OP.

Here is another powder for the 7RM. 4831SC, 140 VLDH. Swapped scopes, re-zeroed. Confirmed zero on the bottom center, and right diamond.

Not at home, will verify load recorded on the data book next week. I remember this much. 1X fired FC, 9-1/2 primers. The load was my hunting load.

View attachment 495758

Well, I was wrong. The brass used are 3X fired.

20230928_232459.jpg

Calvin, I have heard rumors of R#23, never seen any in person. I would like a minimum of two, five-pounders for a start!

I was talking to an advanced ballistician once and the discussion came up about pressure in low temps, He told me that there could be pressure spikes in temps below minus 25*F.
I found some RE23 on Powder Valley's site. It said click here to receive a notice of in stock. :/ Still waiting...

I replaced the old (terrible) muzzle brake with an EC Tuner Brake. I shot the first test last weekend. I hope to do finer adjustments this weekend. The brake made a huge difference in how the rifle and I worked together. I experimented with a "one shot ladder" and my 6.8 SPC II AR during the same outing. I'm not sure that I fully understand what the ladder was telling me yet, but I selected to powder range to test based on that ladder this weekend. My little .20PPC is making nice dots at 100 and I'm going to test it at 100 yards this weekend. I'm expecting a crowd so I'll have to get there early.

Tuner targets attached.

Attachments

• 7MM Rem Mag 1st Tuner Test.pdf
    86 KB · Views: 28
I replaced the old (terrible) muzzle brake with an EC Tuner Brake. I shot the first test last weekend. I hope to do finer adjustments this weekend. The brake made a huge difference in how the rifle and I worked together. I experimented with a "one shot ladder" and my 6.8 SPC II AR during the same outing. I'm not sure that I fully understand what the ladder was telling me yet, but I selected to powder range to test based on that ladder this weekend. My little .20PPC is making nice dots at 100 and I'm going to test it at 100 yards this weekend. I'm expecting a crowd so I'll have to get there early.

Tuner targets attached.

If you have listened to this, it is worth listening to. I do not like Erik Cortina as a person, not a subscriber of his, but his guest have some good stuff to talk about.

If you have listened to this, it is worth listening to. I do not like Erik Cortina as a person, not a subscriber of his, but his guest have some good stuff to talk about.

I watched that video. That's where I got the one shot ladder idea from. I think I know what he was trying to tell us. I will find out tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Loving the cool air today.

I was raised around folks like Erik. I don't mind him however I don't know him or met him. I like that he shares his reloading methods. It's made a difference in how I shoot and reload. I doubt if I'll ever compete but reloading has gotten simpler and my ammo shoots better. So do I.

I watched that video. That's where I got the one shot ladder idea from. I think I know what he was trying to tell us. I will find out tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Loving the cool air today.

I was raised around folks like Erik. I don't mind him however I don't know him or met him. I like that he shares his reloading methods. It's made a difference in how I shoot and reload. I doubt if I'll ever compete but reloading has gotten simpler and my ammo shoots better. So do I.

Send a note to Tim and send him your data and ask for his input

Tuner targets attached.
.20PPC! That the same case as the 6mm version just necked down I assume? Sounds like a sweet little round and i imagine psycho accuracy potential.

Someday I'll own a .20 cal of some flavour, Lord willing. My neighbour was showing me his .20 vartarg build the other day (we're both handloaders and rifle looneys, but he doesn't have any kids so his guns are fancier than mine…for now, dude just got engaged! 🤣)

That vartarg is one adorable little cartridge, almost funny! But the groups the rig prints are deadly serious.

.20PPC! That the same case as the 6mm version just necked down I assume? Sounds like a sweet little round and i imagine psycho accuracy potential.

Someday I'll own a .20 cal of some flavour, Lord willing. My neighbour was showing me his .20 vartarg build the other day (we're both handloaders and rifle looneys, but he doesn't have any kids so his guns are fancier than mine…for now, dude just got engaged! 🤣)

That vartarg is one adorable little cartridge, almost funny! But the groups the rig prints are deadly serious.
.20PPC is a .220 Russian case necked down to .204. My best group at 100 yards is .113 and .118. I'm hoping to reshoot them at 200 yards this weekend.

Here's a pic of the rifle. @Shawn Carlock built it

p882907321-4.jpg

Here's the target that he sent with the rifle.

p548319637-6.jpg

In the loading notes that he sent, he said "If the ES can be lowered to 10-15 FPS this will probably shoot in the 0's. Not bad for a walking varmint rifle!" ES for the 0.113" group was 11.44. velocity was 3,408 fps. 55gr Berger VLD Varmint, N133, and CCI BR4 primers. The 0.128" group ES (same bullet, powder, and primers) had an ES of 26. Velocity was 3,464. I can get it in the ES 10-15 range with the 55's. I've got some 39gr Sierra Blitzkings I could try but I'm pretty happy with the 55gr Bergers.

Last edited: