Powder for a 31" 300WM

Just got my rifle back from the smith and now have a 31" barrel. I tried below min published data or RL22, my ole favorite for my 26" barrel but it is not going well. I started at 68.6 gn and worked up a ladder for some 168 SMKs. I'm getting a heavy bolt at 70.0 and failure to extract beyond that. Ohler says I'm at 3050 when the bolt starts to stick. I think I'm getting the pressure withiut the velocity. Any advice on a different powder?
168 SMKs seated off the lands, have not tinkered with depth much yet.
Fed LR mag primers
WIN brass
Thanks,
~z

I would try a slower powder. Something Like H1000 or even Retumbo. With 31 inches to let it burn you should be fine. I think the RL22 is just to quick to gain much with that lenght of barrel.

Willys46

222 somthing dont sound right, I use 75gr H4831sc in mine with a 11 twist 185 gr. pill, Try 73gr. Reloader 22 the other day with 187gr BIB's and did not show any sighn of pressure.

222 mine is just a 29'' tube, but I dont beleave 2'' could make that much differance in the pressure. I am sure you have checked but it never hurts to dubble check your scale. I am running .003 neck tenchion and a hard jam into the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.