Powder container size

Natty Bumpo

Hate to sound like I'm making mountains out of molehills, but this has been getting under my craw. My reloading cabinet is a finite space; i.e. - I can only fit so many powder containers in there. So why does one pound of powder come in a container that looks like it could easily hold 2 lbs? (I've got IMR, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accuracte, Winchester, and Reloader/Alliant).

All I can figure is it's some kind of safety thing. If the powder combusts they don't want it in a confined space where pressure could build up. But that's just a guess.

While I'm on the subject, why are Federal primer boxes so big? CCI got that one right.

IMO the federal boxes from the local i don't care cashier that drops them every time have more protection. I have a feeling the powder containers settle but it's just a hunch.

Hate to sound like I'm making mountains out of molehills, but this has been getting under my craw. My reloading cabinet is a finite space; i.e. - I can only fit so many powder containers in there. So why does one pound of powder come in a container that looks like it could easily hold 2 lbs? (I've got IMR, Hodgdon, Ramshot, Accuracte, Winchester, and Reloader/Alliant).

All I can figure is it's some kind of safety thing. If the powder combusts they don't want it in a confined space where pressure could build up. But that's just a guess.

While I'm on the subject, why are Federal primer boxes so big? CCI got that one right.

I thought I was the only one that wondered that. I swear the only fill them half way. The old IMR cans used to be samller, just a pain to get all the powerd out of.

And for the Federal primers. I use a Lee hand primer and always drop a primer or two because the stupid boxes are so big. It must be a marketing thing. Take up more space for a bigger name presents.

I still wish they would make a 1/4 lbs cans for a sample pack for load testing. Package 4 different powders with similar burn rates to test. I hate having to buy a pound when you are just testing. If there wasn;t hasmat fees I would love to put together a poweder and primer swab.

Willys

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.