Powder choices and felt recoil

Personally, as a bench rest shooter, recoil hasn't been an issue unless we're talking about my 338LM. I only shoot this one from a "lead sled" with 25# of lead shot. Still, recoil there is nothing compared to "muzzle flip". I have not seen the impact at 100 meters, but the wife said it does move a bunch of real -estate.

I'm finding a new load right now for a 7mm so i don't burn up any more Retumbo.
Using the same gun, same bullet, same primer, same cases and IMR4831 I'm about 25fps shy of my retumbo load.
The 4831 certainly feels like it slaps the shoulder fast vs. a push.
Maybe it's all in my head and I just miss the smell of burnt retumbo at 8am.

I notice this alot, same bullet, similar velocity. The cartridge is the mild 6GT. I distinctly can tell the difference between 4166 and Superformance. The super is much more snappy while the 4166 is a smooth slide to the rear. Super is a fairly slow powder and the 4166 a good bit faster on the burn chart. Completely the opposite of what I thought it should be.
First time I shot some 300wm Superformance ammo as soon as I pulled the trigger I noted a distinctly sharper recoil than with my own reloads using heavier bullets.

I think you're right on.

Something I've wondered too. I sold a Sako Grizzly in 308 - not a big banger, but we just didn't get along. I purchased a Steyr Scout ranger in 308 and using my handloads ( 1/2 grain under max ) it feels like a 243.

I worked up loads for my 338-378 Wby. mag. with Berg. 300 gr., Sierra 300 gr. & Barnes 280 gr. with 2 different powders, Retumbo & N570 & personally when the loads were about the same velocity, I couldn't tell any difference in the recoil between the 2 powders? I'm just glad it has a brake on it!:oops: I'd like to see some type of scientific support for what you're theorizing. With the milliseconds that any powder, slow or fast, is in the barrel, to me doesn't really make sense. Not saying you're wrong, just wondering.

I've ran different powders with the same bullets to the same speeds in the same rifle. The felt recoil has been different with different burn rate powders even if it's the same bullet at the same velocity. It was explained to me that the pressure at the muzzle when the bullet exits is what makes felt recoil vary.

I've worked up loads for my 280 in H4350 and H4831. With more powder the 4831 feels more like a shove as you described. The 4350 feels like punch. If I am imagining it, I imagined it all on my own before this thread was posted.

My old reloading buddy, Ralph, is no longer with us. He reloaded for almost 50 years, and his normal process of working up loads was to get the best load performance possible, then experiment to find the slowest burning powder he could find that would duplicate that bullet speed and performance WITHOUT being compressed! This produces very good performance with less recoil, and less torture on the barrel! If the accuracy is there, it's a Win-Win situation!

My old reloading buddy, Ralph, is no longer with us. He reloaded for almost 50 years, and his normal process of working up loads was to get the best load performance possible, then experiment to find the slowest burning powder he could find that would duplicate that bullet speed and performance WITHOUT being compressed! This produces very good performance with less recoil, and less torture on the barrel! If the accuracy is there, it's a Win-Win situation!
??? Why not just start with the slower burning powders?

Try Jack O' Connors old Load of 47gr of IMR 4064 in the 270 Win with 130 gr bullet then stoke it up with H4831 and let me know how that slower powder less kick works out for you.