Powder charge and seating depth

With the scopes, we have today what is gained by hot-rodding our ammo?
To me nothing other than the fun, enjoyment, or learning it offers. It might not be practical in the sense that there's always a larger case up until the point of sanity is passed, but it's still something to do when shooting.

Benchresters do the the tiniest group thing, PRC does that fastest group thing, ELR does the furthest group thing, FCSA do the biggest group (ha, I mean biggest hole) thing, some people do the fastest group thing. I guess it's the same logic as drag racing versus NASCAR versus the idiots on the streets here that wrap their cars around light poles. If you aren't into something, then it doesn't always make sense from the outside looking in.

I have a 300 BLK and I'm building a 223, planning to shoot long range with both of them. It's not practical but that's not the point of it. The point is to be harder to shoot well. If I want to shoot well at long range easier there's a 300 RUM sitting right there in the safe. If I'm trying to actually shoot some THING I'll use the right gun for it, but for practice and learning then IMO there are cheaper tools to use.

If accuracy node is good with near max loads and no signs of pressure and you work up your loads in small increments I see it as a win win, good accuracy and getting the most out of your caliber. I always read best accuracy is gonna usually be closer to max then minimum loads. For target, sure, play around with light loads, learn to use your scope, for hunting and people talking ethical kills wouldn't less drop and drift be better for whatever caliber you're using, probably be good for competition too.

Yeah, but end of the day if you're marginal in any case there's always a bigger case. If 223 Rem isn't enough, AI it, then go to a 22-250, then 220 Swift, then you get to the 223 WSSM, and there's pretty much nothing sane left at that point in the bore. In 6.5 you can do 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 PRC, .264 Win Mag, then you're pretty much done for the bore.

I'll hot rod a 223 to find out where it can go and like you said get the most from the caliber, but if there's serious work to be done I'd just get a 22-250 and get there with no effort.

Yeah, but end of the day if you're marginal in any case there's always a bigger case. If 223 Rem isn't enough, AI it, then go to a 22-250, then 220 Swift, then you get to the 223 WSSM, and there's pretty much nothing sane left at that point in the bore. In 6.5 you can do 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 PRC, .264 Win Mag, then you're pretty much done for the bore.

I'll hot rod a 223 to find out where it can go and like you said get the most from the caliber, but if there's serious work to be done I'd just get a 22-250 and get there with no effort.
I just like my calibers to do what they're supposed to do, isn't that the point of whatever caliber you get and if you can safely keep them hot and accurate why not.

With the scopes, we have today what is gained by hot-rodding our ammo?
Jump shooting fast running targets like coyotes on the plains.

A coyote can accelerate to 45mph in under 3 seconds. At that speed he's gaining 22 yards per second running straight away or at a slight angle from you usually. If you have him crossing at 90 degrees at 300 yards figure the difference in your lead between a bullet traveling at 2800fps MV, vs 3600fps MV.

Figure your drops with the same data if he's running straight away or the combination of drop and lead if he's quartering away.

It can make a really big difference. Even a pig can run 30-35mph for half a mile.

When there's no time to dope and dial and all you have to go on is a range and wind estimate on a rapidly moving target every little advantage you can give yourself is huge.

For a novice shooter on the plans where range estimation can be extremely difficult those flat shooting high velocity rounds can easily be the difference in success and failure as well.

Remember, not everyone can afford all of the range finders and atmospheric gadgets necessary to calculate precise dope nor will they be afforded the time to do so.

If you have the equipment and all the time in the world to gather data and make calculations then velocity only matters as far as max range and making calculations which is a completely different world.

I just like my calibers to do what they're supposed to do, isn't that the point of whatever caliber you get and if you can safely keep them hot and accurate why not.
It's just in the nature of some folks to go to extremes including finding out just where the extreme limits are velocity wise on a given cartridge.

Of course, that always comes at a cost such as barrel replacement but most folks dong the hotrodding understand that going in. If they don't, they'll soon learn it.

Jump shooting fast running targets like coyotes on the plains.

A coyote can accelerate to 45mph in under 3 seconds. At that speed he's gaining 22 yards per second running straight away or at a slight angle from you usually. If you have him crossing at 90 degrees at 300 yards figure the difference in your lead between a bullet traveling at 2800fps MV, vs 3600fps MV.

Figure your drops with the same data if he's running straight away or the combination of drop and lead if he's quartering away.

It can make a really big difference. Even a pig can run 30-35mph for half a mile.

When there's no time to dope and dial and all you have to go on is a range and wind estimate on a rapidly moving target every little advantage you can give yourself is huge.

For a novice shooter on the plans where range estimation can be extremely difficult those flat shooting high velocity rounds can easily be the difference in success and failure as well.

Remember, not everyone can afford all of the range finders and atmospheric gadgets necessary to calculate precise dope nor will they be afforded the time to do so.

If you have the equipment and all the time in the world to gather data and make calculations then velocity only matters as far as max range and making calculations which is a completely different world.
Gotta say, that makes a lot of sense and should be common sense.

It's just in the nature of some folks to go to extremes including finding out just where the extreme limits are velocity wise on a given cartridge.

Of course, that always comes at a cost such as barrel replacement but most folks dong the hotrodding understand that going in. If they don't, they'll soon learn it.
Yes, wanna burn out your barrel that's your choice, and if replacing the barrel is no big deal to you and you can afford it why should you care about burning out barrel warnings, I personally don't care if I burn out the barrel, I like shooting and if that high velocity round is gonna shoot the best I'm going with, I'll replace the barrel and it's gonna last for a long while anyways.

Yes, wanna burn out your barrel that's your choice, and if replacing the barrel is no big deal to you and you can afford it why should you care about burning out barrel warnings, I personally don't care if I burn out the barrel, I like shooting and if that high velocity round is gonna shoot the best I'm going with, I'll replace the barrel and it's gonna last for a long while anyways.
If you're not shooting a lot burning out a barrel isn't much of a consideration.

If you're a dedicated varmint hunter barrels are considered to be expendable.

It's not unusual for a PD hunter to take 200-1000 shots on a three to five day hunt and even moderate velocity rounds like the .223 will eat up barrels shooting that much.

If you're a more typical hunter who's only going to shoot enough to find a good load and then shoot from one to five animals a year even the worst "barrel burners" are going to last you a lifetime.

I limit my high volume shooting to such things as my .260 Remingtons which should easily give me 2,000-4,000 rds of live before needing to be set back and rechambered or replaced.

I'm luckier than most though, I've accumulated a large collection of rifles in calibers from .204 Ruger to 300Rum with some crazy fast rounds like the .220 Swift and 6.5LRM so I can always pick from quite an assortment and not have to worry about burning out any of them since I have at least three in each caliber/cartridge.

If one starts to get hot I can put it down and pick up another.

Gotta say, that makes a lot of sense and should be common sense.
To people who have experienced it, it does to those that haven't it may or may not make any sense at all.

We're all limited largely by our own experiences and to a lesser degree the experiences of others we know.

If your sole experience is shooting six rounds to zero or check zero on your 30.06 then sitting fifty or a hundred yards from a deer feeder all season and maybe taking 3-5 deer then a year it may well not make any sense to you.

Those who shoot beanfields in the Midwest, or hunt the high plains and high deserts in the West however, live and hunt in an entirely different world where different criteria have to be considered.

Much of my work killing hogs and coyotes isn't about sport hunting at all, it's purely about extermination and protecting livestock and property. That's not something many people will ever observe much less experience so it's hard for them to understand.

Americans are hot rodders by nature. Back in the day you had to have a big set of kahunas to get on a ship and travel for weeks to get here. Or maybe not even make it. That dna is in most of us. Dont laugh. Why do you think Americans have invented so many things? Why is our economy the envy of the world. Because we are not afraid to take risk.

Americans are hot rodders by nature. Back in the day you had to have a big set of kahunas to get on a ship and travel for weeks to get here. Or maybe not even make it. That dna is in most of us. Dont laugh. Why do you think Americans have invented so many things? Why is our economy the envy of the world. Because we are not afraid to take risk.
Very true, being risk takers is in the DNA of most Americans, that's why we lead the world in thinking up new extreme sports HA!

How exactly does cortina FL size, what kind of die does he use.
Idk, dont really care. I just know from my own experience that Redding dies work, with the vld stem if your using steep angled ojive'd bullets.
That being said my best die is a Specialty Shooting Systems 6XC bushing die. But as long as you bump the shoulder back 2 thou from fired, and get < 1 thou round out that fl die/set up is gtg.