Seating Depth Affected By Powder Charge?

Propdoc03

Trying to get back int he game.
Wasnt sure what to title this as and it has probably been covered, I just couldnt find it in the archives.

Once you find a seating depth that works well with your rifle is it affected by changes in powder charge and/or temp/altitude/pressures?

I studied the ladder test and the getting the most out of VLD's and am still not quite sure of what new method I want to go by. I am working with the VLD hunters in both my 7RM mag and 300 WSM. Starting from scratch with both rigs.

I guess I first need to find my max charge but if I can first find what my seating depth is that may make tomorrow a more productive day? Will only have a few hours before it gets too hot to shoot.

Wide open to methods of madness an anything else.

Many Thanks
PD

Start with the longest COAL that will fit and cycle in your magazine. Find your max load there. Run a OCW round robin 3 rounds at each charge weight starting from a charge weight at least 4 percent back from your max. Once you find at least a 1 grain spread with a common POI you can start to adjust seating depth to tighten it up.

Read this, OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System

Very Good, thanks Scout1!

So, Ill add to this while I am here, looking for any OCW loads. Heres what I have to work with.

H4831 SC, VV N560, RL 19, R 22, R 25. Varget.

300 WSM VLD Hunters 180, 190, 200. Nosler Accubond 200. Sierra Hornady 165 IBS

7mm RM, 180 grn VLD Hunters.

Thanks!
PD

I was shooting the 175 VLD's with VVN-560. It was a pretty hot load of 72.5 grns so please work up safely.

I am currently testing the 208 A-max and RL-17 with very good results so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts