Powder burnrate chart

smithjasona1978

I am still pretty new to long range and reloading. I am trying to make some sense of why my guns like some powders and don't like others. I found what looks to me like a pretty good powder burnrate list over on reloaders nest. It list all powders on one list from fastest to slowest. Would one of the experts on here mind having a look at it and telling me how accurate the list is? It seems pretty up to date. I saw RE25 but not RE26 or RE33. And are there any better lists out there that are more accurate or up to date? Thanks again.

I am still pretty new to long range and reloading. I am trying to make some sense of why my guns like some powders and don't like others. I found what looks to me like a pretty good powder burnrate list over on reloaders nest. It list all powders on one list from fastest to slowest. Would one of the experts on here mind having a look at it and telling me how accurate the list is? It seems pretty up to date. I saw RE25 but not RE26 or RE33. And are there any better lists out there that are more accurate or up to date? Thanks again.

Charts are only a guide and YMMV depending on your set up (i.e. barrel twist, groove, length, bullet used, etc...). I'd take accuracy over velocity anytime.

Happy safe reloading, shooting, and hunting.

I use Hodgden chart for reference. It is not completely up to date but pretty good. Be careful about the chart. Just because two powders are next to each other does not mean they burn the same.

Steve

I had a look at the one Hodgdon has and it is way different. Now I am more confused. Hodgdon has re25 listed as faster than h1000. Reloaders nest has it listed half way between h1000 and retumbo. Is one list wrong, or is there just that much variation between lots of the same powder?

I had a look at the one Hodgdon has and it is way different. Now I am more confused. Hodgdon has re25 listed as faster than h1000. Reloaders nest has it listed half way between h1000 and retumbo. Is one list wrong, or is there just that much variation between lots of the same powder?

There may be that much variation from lot to lot or year to year based on how close the relative burn rates of the two powders are to start with. Just because a powder is next to another in the chart does not necessarily mean they are very close to the same burn rate. The chart does not list degree of change in burn rates. That was basically the disclaimer from the Hornady Reloaders Guide. Hornady list RL25 below H1000. The Berger Reloaders Guide list RL25 before H1000. The Berger burn rate chart seems to be a copy of the Hodgdon Guide.

Each powder has different burn characteristics. The way I see it a burn rate chart gives a general position compared to other powders as far as the speed of the powder. Some powders of similar burn rate build pressure more quickly but not as much or visa versa. Best thing that you can do is use published load data from reputable manufactures. Not some web site or guy on a chat site.

Steve

Reloaders Guides like the ones from Nosler, Hornady, Berger always list the powders used for loads in a particular cartridge buy the "powders burn rate". Slow powders are listed first and get progressively slower.

I would used published load data from a reloaders manual to determine which powder to use and whether it is relatively faster or slower than another. Reloaders guides are money well spent, IMO. Nosler also lists most of their load data online.

Reloaders Guides like the ones from Nosler, Hornady, Berger always list the powders used for loads in a particular cartridge buy the "powders burn rate". Slow powders are listed first and get progressively slower.

I would used published load data from a reloaders manual to determine which powder to use and whether it is relatively faster or slower than another. Reloaders guides are money well spent, IMO. Nosler also lists most of their load data online.

You mean progressively faster?

Steve

They always start with the slowest powder and progress to the fastest powder that is acceptable to the bullet.

Steve

Guess it really depends on the manual. Hornady states in their manual that they purposefully list them from fastest to slowest burn rate. Berger, although they do not state it, pretty much list them from fastest to slowest burn rate also. Nosler is the exception, they list the powders for the various loads by velocity. I had forgotten this.. List is from lower velocity to the highest velocity. That is a good way to list them, if you think about it. But still, for the most part the list ends up being from the fastest burn rate to the slowest burn rate, since slower powders usually - but not always - deliver more speed.

I think I have enough loading manuals. I will just spend money and buy a pound of the powder and testerout. It really all started while I was trying to find a powder to use that's slower than H1000 but slower Than Retumbo. And I started to notice several powders on several different lists bouncing all over the place.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.