Powder burnrate chart

I think I have enough loading manuals. I will just spend money and buy a pound of the powder and testerout. It really all started while I was trying to find a powder to use that's slower than H1000 but slower Than Retumbo. And I started to notice several powders on several different lists bouncing all over the place.

OOPS. I meant to say slower than h1000 but faster than retumbo.

I had a similar situation and tried the MagPro 215 Berger on my .300 WSM. While I got pretty good group and velocity, RL-17 gave me another 50 FPS with the same accuracy.

It really depends on what bullet and chambering you're loading for. Like others have noted, bullet manufacturer's like Berger, Hornady, etc ..., have conducted their own tests with various powders for recommendations.

RL26 is fairly new and hasn't made it to powder burn chart yet (at least not that I've seen) but Hornady for instance tested them on their 220 ELD-X in .300 WM chambering ...

Attachments

• ReloadingData300WinMag220grELDX.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 35
Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

I have been using the Hodgdon data for so long I had to go look at some others. They do it in different ways. So not enough of a pattern there for burn rates.

In the end to the OP. Just use published data, start low and work up. If you can't find the powder you are looking for, then you can look at a good burn rate chart and find another in the chart that is close to the one you are looking for. Start low and work up. Chances are that it may not be a preferred powder for your combo. That does not mean that you can not get good results.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.