Post Your 2016 Deer Season Success Here

Timnterra

There is a similar post running in the Antelope hunting section and I thought why not start one for all the deer hunters out there. Post your pics of your 2016 deer and tell us about the hunt. Hope you all had a great season!

I'll kick things off with my 2016 South Dakota whitetail.
It was 318 yard shot with the custom 300 win mag shooting 212eld-x at 2965fps. The bullet did its job well; He dropped in his tracks. In fact I have never harvested an animal that I was able to save so much meat from. I shot him through the neck facing head on and the bullet only ruined a fist size portion of neck meat before destroying his vitals. Great hunt! Tentative score from the taxidermist was 150.

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpg
    IMG_3334.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 213
Okay, not a long shot, only 140 yards. But, when this deer is looking at me from between two junipers at 140 yards, I wasn't about to hesitate.

Came across him while hunting in northeast Wyoming on a ranch, on the third day of hunting. He's a 4x5, and I neglected to measure his spread before turning him over to the taxidermist. Pretty decent buck though, and one I'm fortunate to have taken. It appeared to be a fleeting shot opportunity.

Rifle was my .30-06 Remington 700 CDL, topped by an old 2-7x Redfield. Zeroed at 200 yards with 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2900 fps. Shoots tight. I did use one leg of the bipod to help me steady the rifle for the prone shot this time.

I've been blessed with a very successful big game season so far: bear, antelope and mule deer. Still holding a late-season elk tag. We shall see..

Regards, Guy

Here's my 4th season buck. It was a tough year for finding a good buck. Lots of nice 3x4's and smaller bucks. Found this one on the last mourning. I was shooting a pre-64 model 70 with a 24" benchmark barrel chambered in 6.5x55 swede 140 grain Berger hvlds at 2800 fps. First shot was about 300 yards while he was walking away he went a few steps, staggered and turned sideways and anchored him with a second shot at 330 to the boiler room. Probably didn't need to shoot a second time but never know. This was my first year using berger bullets and I can say I'm impressed.

Attachments

• 20161120_071140.jpg
    20161120_071140.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 251
Shot thanksgiving day NE Montana in the breaks. Shot at 300 yards with .26 nosler. Not sure how to rotate pic!

Attachments

• BD712486-FF89-495E-A977-7BB1E6D061AA.jpg
    BD712486-FF89-495E-A977-7BB1E6D061AA.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 238
Tried to rotate your picture, but it came up sideways even after I changed it!

Attachments

• BD712486-FF89-495E-A977-7BB1E6D061AA.jpg
    BD712486-FF89-495E-A977-7BB1E6D061AA.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 208
Congrats to all you guys on the beautiful mule deer! I've not had the chance to get on a good muley but I usually draw an any deer tag so next year might be the year.

Shot this one on Black Friday. Right at first light a small buck skylined itself one the ridge across from me. Then I noticed another deer was with him. As it got lighter I realized the second was big enough to shoot. As I was setting up to shoot, this guy walked up behind the one I was going to shoot. Glad I waited. Rem 700 30/06 shooting 168 Barnes TTSX. Shot was just over 220 yds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 213
Nothing like what most of you guys shoot but for New Hampshire this deer is a stud. Biggest to date for me. 10 pointer and tipped the scales at 218. The Browning X-bolt 7mm Rem mag with a 140 nosler did its job

Attachments

• IMG_20161115_065148888.jpg
    IMG_20161115_065148888.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 216
All beautiful deer guys. I love the pics and stories.

Here's mine.
We have a small farm that I try to manage for 3.5 year and older bucks. Some times it works and sometimes the neighbors kill them all. This time it worked out. Last year I passed this buck as a 3.5 yr 10 point as he was pretty much living on our place. This year he was not traveling our place at all hardly. Only pics about once a week right on the property line. So when he popped up over a step on the hillside right in front of me at 60 yards it was shoot first and ask questions later. It did not even know it was him until I walked up on him. At the time of the shot I just knew it was a shooter. I rifle hunt there in a small box blind and my long range guns are a tight fit in it so this year I took a Marlin XL7 in 30-06, 20" barrel, loaded with 125 grn Nosler BT to around 3100 fps. One shot to the boiler room and he ran 60 yards before piling up out of sight. When I tracked him down another 4.5 yr old stud 8 point was challenging him and trying to fight him while he was out. The bullet did fragment quite a bit but still made a large wound cavity. It was a very clean kill. I heard him crash probably 5 seconds after the shot.

Oh. And like the one guys, my pics always seem to post sideways or upside down or something stupid. You'll just have to save it, rotate it then delete it. Sorry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 210
My younger brother's deer he harvested opening day of rifle season. Let him use my newly built 6.5 creedoor and hunt for a deer I had scouted for quite a bit. I felt bad for the poor kid and let him shoot this bruiser of a buck, he had not shot a deer for 6 years so I figured I would be nice and guide him to this one. Watched him bed down with a doe that morning, went home for lunch and a quick nap and came back out in a spot we knew we could get close. Ended up getting within 200 yards of the buck and had a chance to watch him chase a doe for almost 2 hours. He ended up working his way into 120 yards where my brother took the shot. 143 ELD-X dropped him in his tracks. Little brother was beyond excited, now he wants a 6.5 creedmoor haha.
IMG_5089_zpssptnj9zz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.