Post Your 2016 Deer Season Success Here

Had a really good 2016 pulled the trigger on a nice Whitetail. Late in the season.

Enjoyed the Mule deer season also. Battled finding a mature buck. The drought of 2011-2012 took it's toll on the deer. Lots of young bucks so some good hunting in the future. Found one 6 year old--not the greatest antlers, but a fine mature trophy--for a Texas desert mule deer.

Used a Blaser R8 6.5-284 on both hunts. Nosler accubond 140 grain.

Last edited:
deerhunt2016.jpg

I couldn't hunt my normal area in 2016 because the area was closed due to a forest fire. I tried a new area with my friends Neno and Miriam. I hiked high up onto a mountain, started glassing and spotted this buck. Then a monster muley stepped into my scope and I had no shot. The range was 750 yards and I was cold and couldn't get steady. I watched the monster walk out of sight. I went down and crossed a draw and got on a ridge where I could lay prone. At 575 yards the 300 grain Berger hit it's mark and the deer disappeared, DRT. Then the work started. I quartered the deer, and hiked back to camp to get my horses. Neno asked me if I wanted to ride his big mule instead and I am glad I did. The big mule was able to take me all the way to my deer without me having to walk. Great day. Neno and his wife Miriam saw a monster over 30 muley but lost him in the fog without a shot. Good hunt, but I will be back into my normal stomping grounds next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.