Possible relocation TX > TN?

When dad was stationed in Fort Campbell we lived in Clarksville TN and it was beautiful there.More rabbits to hunt than the south and deer everywhere.We had so many fishing spots that we did not have to travel very far to fish.
I have not been back since 1963 so I bet I would not know my way around Clarksville at all.

I grew up in East Tennessee... 37 years there. Mostly around Johnson City/ Bristol/ Kingsport aka the tri-cities. Also lived in Knoxville for about 5 years. I have never lived in or around Nashville, but I go to the counties around Clarksville to hunt deer (old friend has a decent sized farm there & the deer are bigger and more plentiful in West Tennessee).

Essentially you have 3 very different areas of Tennessee. East, middle, west. And each area is significantly different. East is an outdoorsman's dream- mountains, rivers, lakes, etc... Middle is essentially Nashville and it's suburbs, although I've never been to mid-south area of the state there's really nothing there besides small farms and small towns, to my knowledge. West is rolling hills, farm land, KY lake in the north and Memphis in the south

As far as outdoor activities, there plenty of opportunities on public managed land in East TN. You have the Smokies for back packing, and the Cherokee national Forest for pretty much anything you would want to do. Hiking trails are everywhere in East Tennessee.

Nashville is a city. I haven't spent time there in quite a few years, but it has grown exponentially since I was in high school/under grad. It's not really my cup of tea, so I can't help you out too much with stuff immediately around there. I think Knoxville and the Smokies are 2-3 hours away though.

I will admit I'm biased, but East Tennessee is as good as it gets East of the Mississippi, depending on what field of work you're into. Certain healthcare fields don't pay the best and there's pretty much a monopoly on healthcare depending on what region (tri cities, Knoxville, Chattanooga) you're in, but there's no state income tax.

Weather is nice, as mentioned. You get all 4 seasons. It can get humid in the summer months but not to the same level as the gulf Coast. Very liveable conditions. Again, this is the Eastern part of the state.

Sorry I can't help you out more with what Nashville and immediate surrounding areas are like. But hopefully I helped a little.

First of all I've lived in TN all my life I'm retired now and I don't want to sound like a dick but here goes we Tennesseans like it here just like it is for the most part so if you want to change things please don't come here to live that being said if you want to come be one of us you're very welcome. We have lots of the most beautiful waterways in the country, plenty of small game and more whitetail deer than we need to be truthful elk are beginning to be harvestable numbers in the far eastern part of the state, waterfowl harvest have declined just as everywhere else the farther south you go, we don't get enough weather up north to move the ducks south. As for the 4x4 parks I'm not involved in that but I've heard from my friends that there are several places to go RV ing and there are lots of places to camp LBL being one of my favorites it about 1and a half hour out of Nashville right between Kentucky lake on the tn river and Barkley lake on the Cumberland river. In the last 20 years there has been a mass influx of people so there isn't nearly as much access to private land as it was when I was a kid. I hope this is helpful and didn't make me sound to much like a dick but like most of my people we are picky about our fellow Tennesseans and to get things straight it doesn't have anything to do with" race " it has to do with what's between your ears !!!

First of all I've lived in TN all my life I'm retired now and I don't want to sound like a dick but here goes we Tennesseans like it here just like it is for the most part so if you want to change things please don't come here to live that being said if you want to come be one of us you're very welcome. We have lots of the most beautiful waterways in the country, plenty of small game and more whitetail deer than we need to be truthful elk are beginning to be harvestable numbers in the far eastern part of the state, waterfowl harvest have declined just as everywhere else the farther south you go, we don't get enough weather up north to move the ducks south. As for the 4x4 parks I'm not involved in that but I've heard from my friends that there are several places to go RV ing and there are lots of places to camp LBL being one of my favorites it about 1and a half hour out of Nashville right between Kentucky lake on the tn river and Barkley lake on the Cumberland river. In the last 20 years there has been a mass influx of people so there isn't nearly as much access to private land as it was when I was a kid. I hope this is helpful and didn't make me sound to much like a dick but like most of my people we are picky about our fellow Tennesseans and to get things straight it doesn't anything to do with" race " it has to do with what's between your ears !!!
Amen

It's not Texas for sure, but we don't have it to bad here. Like someone already mentioned we have tons of lakes and rivers here if you are a water person. Tons of camping that is not in a RV/camper park. I do overnight canoe/kayak trips all the time. I'm in Knoxville which is about 2.5 to 3.5 hours from Nashville depending what part you are coming from, between there you have the Cumberland Plateau which is a great area for all that stuff. We have several WMA's and National forests and state land. Someone mentioned elk just a heads up there are some small herds they have reintroduced and we do have hunts but you'll have better luck trying to kill Bigfoot than getting drawn for one of them. There is plenty of deer hunting and deer opportunities and the heard seems to be getting better quality. That being said we are not the Boone and Crockett destination for hunters. Although I think it was the world record nontypical was killed right outside Nashville a few years ago so there is always a chance. If you are looking for huge horns Kentucky is only 30 minutes to an hour to the north and the monsters live there. I have a good lease there very reasonable price and could kill a 130 every year if I wanted, I don't I set my min at about 150 and if you really hunt you can harvest one of those very regularly. My biggest so far is 203 and other guys close have killed 165 to 195 so they are there. There are countless places to Jeep and four wheel. I think it's a required course here in high school. LOL. In the country a lot of guys drive their rigs as daily drivers. The Somkey Mountains are here in east Tenn and has miles and miles of hiking trails and some good trout fishing also. For waterfowl you will want to head to west Tenn you got the Mississippi fly way and Land between the Lakes and tons of lakes and rivers. You can kill ducks around Nashville but the more serious guys go west. Goes without saying if you are in a flyway you will see more ducks. Geese are everywhere KILL THEM ALL!!! We also have black bear hunting here and those dang hogs. It's pretty easy to get off the beaten path here if you want to and it always surprises me that so few actually do. Most people just hit the hot spots here just like everywhere else. You know like going to Yellowstone and only going to see Old Faithful and DRIVING around the loop. All in all it's a good place to live for an outdoorsman and generally anyone, the people are nice hard working folk for the most part. Things are cheaper here than a lot of other places and one of the best things and why tons of people are moving here no state income tax!! YET!!!! Give it a try you might like it, If not you can always move. LOL. Hope this helps.
Very helpful

You have received some great responses. I've only lived in TN for 62 years. Most of it was in Middle TN. Went to college in Knoxville. Outdoors activities is a big thing here. Hunting, fishing, off-road activities abound. Nashville has become a crazy place with huge tourist and growth in the city. I live a little west of Nashville now. A small community that is a slower pace and beautiful woods and streams. If you are moving east of Nashville you will be close to our best GS (Southern Precision Rifles) and awesome country side. WMA access is where I primarily hunt these days. Quota applications end at the end of this month. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

First of all I've lived in TN all my life I'm retired now and I don't want to sound like a dick but here goes we Tennesseans like it here just like it is for the most part so if you want to change things please don't come here to live that being said if you want to come be one of us you're very welcome. We have lots of the most beautiful waterways in the country, plenty of small game and more whitetail deer than we need to be truthful elk are beginning to be harvestable numbers in the far eastern part of the state, waterfowl harvest have declined just as everywhere else the farther south you go, we don't get enough weather up north to move the ducks south. As for the 4x4 parks I'm not involved in that but I've heard from my friends that there are several places to go RV ing and there are lots of places to camp LBL being one of my favorites it about 1and a half hour out of Nashville right between Kentucky lake on the tn river and Barkley lake on the Cumberland river. In the last 20 years there has been a mass influx of people so there isn't nearly as much access to private land as it was when I was a kid. I hope this is helpful and didn't make me sound to much like a dick but like most of my people we are picky about our fellow Tennesseans and to get things straight it doesn't have anything to do with" race " it has to do with what's between your ears !!!
I feel like I can say the same for Texas… it's changed for sure. And yes very helpful. I am a water guy. Bass fishing is huge where I am now and I am familiar with Tennessee in that way since BASS and the others have all had/have big tournaments there. I sold my last boat last year. Already told the wife if we go east vs west I'm gonna probably be buying another

Sounds like Tennessee has a lot to offer but I'll need to drive some since the opportunity would keep us closer to Nashville albeit not in the city

I feel like I can say the same for Texas… it's changed for sure. And yes very helpful. I am a water guy. Bass fishing is huge where I am now and I am familiar with Tennessee in that way since BASS and the others have all had/have big tournaments there. I sold my last boat last year. Already told the wife if we go east vs west I'm gonna probably be buying another

Sounds like Tennessee has a lot to offer but I'll need to drive some since the opportunity would keep us closer to Nashville albeit not in the city
I worked in Nashville for 40 years and drove 60 plus miles everyday one way there is no way I'd live in Davidson county it's no place to raise kids and as far as long range shooting goes there's not going to be a lot of places that you can shoot 1k yards we used to have some bean fields we could get out to 6/7 hundred yards on groundhogs the farmers loved when we asked to hunt ghogs and yotes for the most part

I grew up in East Tennessee... 37 years there. Mostly around Johnson City/ Bristol/ Kingsport aka the tri-cities. Also lived in Knoxville for about 5 years. I have never lived in or around Nashville, but I go to the counties around Clarksville to hunt deer (old friend has a decent sized farm there & the deer are bigger and more plentiful in West Tennessee).

Essentially you have 3 very different areas of Tennessee. East, middle, west. And each area is significantly different. East is an outdoorsman's dream- mountains, rivers, lakes, etc... Middle is essentially Nashville and it's suburbs, although I've never been to mid-south area of the state there's really nothing there besides small farms and small towns, to my knowledge. West is rolling hills, farm land, KY lake in the north and Memphis in the south

As far as outdoor activities, there plenty of opportunities on public managed land in East TN. You have the Smokies for back packing, and the Cherokee national Forest for pretty much anything you would want to do. Hiking trails are everywhere in East Tennessee.

Nashville is a city. I haven't spent time there in quite a few years, but it has grown exponentially since I was in high school/under grad. It's not really my cup of tea, so I can't help you out too much with stuff immediately around there. I think Knoxville and the Smokies are 2-3 hours away though.

I will admit I'm biased, but East Tennessee is as good as it gets East of the Mississippi, depending on what field of work you're into. Certain healthcare fields don't pay the best and there's pretty much a monopoly on healthcare depending on what region (tri cities, Knoxville, Chattanooga) you're in, but there's no state income tax.

Weather is nice, as mentioned. You get all 4 seasons. It can get humid in the summer months but not to the same level as the gulf Coast. Very liveable conditions. Again, this is the Eastern part of the state.

Sorry I can't help you out more with what Nashville and immediate surrounding areas are like. But hopefully I helped a little.
Thank you a significant help. Much appreciated

My wife has an opportunity to take a job in TN that would require us to move east to TN… Nashville/surrounding area.

I am a little apprehensive but not closing the door. My job can take us anywhere and honestly Idaho has been my dream for 3 years but we have stayed in Texas to handle some things here.

For those in Tennessee what's the low down on the outdoors? Every thing I hear about how great Nashville is surrounds around broadway, nightlife music history etc….. but nothing about hunting opportunities, fishing, hunting camping off-roading etc. I assume those things can be had but is it something I'd have to take long trips just to get away from the city? Seems like it's Texas but smaller and further from western hunting opportunities and maybe even less public land?

Pros of living in Tennessee?
Things to be aware of?
You Asked: Dove, quail, raccoon, possum, skunk, groundhog, squirrel, badger, fox, coyote, bobcat, otter, beaver, mountain lion,* deer, black bear, elk & (arguably) bigfoots😉. Bass, bluegill, crappie, trout, catfish, carp, etc.
No state income tax. We still pray publicly. Politicians FOR the voters instead of TO the voters. And yes, there ARE still moonshine stills.
Lots of good people. We tell folks that they're welcome to come but leave their politics at home! (We like our own!) Lots to see & do near Nashville.
Things to be aware of? Outsiders who bring their politics with them! 😉

Oh...and higs
You Asked: Dove, quail, raccoon, possum, skunk, groundhog, squirrel, badger, fox, coyote, bobcat, otter, beaver, mountain lion,* deer, black bear, elk & (arguably) bigfoots😉. Bass, bluegill, crappie, trout, catfish, carp, etc.
No state income tax. We still pray publicly. Politicians FOR the voters instead of TO the voters. And yes, there ARE still moonshine stills.
Lots of good people. We tell folks that they're welcome to come but leave their politics at home! (We like our own!) Lots to see & do near Nashville.
Things to be aware of? Outsiders who bring their politics with them!
And hogs...wild hogs!

Just the place I am looking to live.