Pork Swords and lightweight mountain rifles.

SavageHunter11

Before I get started, yes this is a serious (albeit humorously named) post with an actual thought through point and question.

pork-sword-in-tripod-660x440.jpg

So I had the idea to use an aluminum chassis with a Sig Sauer MCX folding stock and adapter for a kinda lightweight truck / backpacking / survival rifle. During my search I came across this chassis called "The Pork Sword". The more I looked at this little package (no pun intended) the more I like it and wanted a little Pork Sword of my own.

It got me thinking, with lots of hunters looking for that lightweight and affordable "mountain rifle" why isn't something like this more popular esecially with more and more hunters using suppressors where permitted. Even with a tax stamp to SBR your receiver so you don't have to use a "pistol brace" this appears to come out relatively affordable (sub $1500) and fairly lightweight too. Seems like a great lightweight hunting platform with a 600m usable range when shooting specific loads.

Definitely be a cool little pack/truck gun.
I thought so too... I read a claim that a 9" barreled 308 with 180gr bullets would have a muzzle velocity of 2100fps and stay super sonic to 1000yards. I think they might be a bit optimistic with that claim but still if you can get 800 yards out of a 9" barrel that would definitely be a neat gun

I came across those last year somehow and really like how they appear...but I'm too cheap to try one out.
I'm cheap too but I've got a right-handed (I'm a lefty) Savage 10 FCP-K in 308 that I'm thinking about selling to fund a left-handed Pork Sword build. If I can find a used lefty 700 locally to use as a donor I think that Savage is getting sold real quick.

Just be careful as you can't build a pistol on an action sold as a rifle. Need to make sure the action is sold as a pistol or could cause issue. May be a way to submit paperwork to change to SBR or pistol but I don't know the details. OR you'll need a 16" barrel and rifle length of 26" I think. Don't quote me on any of this but I know there a rule about not building a pistol out of an existing rifle action.

Just be careful as you can't build a pistol on an action sold as a rifle. Need to make sure the action is sold as a pistol or could cause issue. May be a way to submit paperwork to change to SBR or pistol but I don't know the details. OR you'll need a 16" barrel and rifle length of 26" I think. Don't quote me on any of this but I know there a rule about not building a pistol out of an existing rifle action.
If I build it I'm going to Form 1 it to SBR it right away. I don't think "pistol braces" are going to fly for more than a few years before some politician or the ATF wises up and rams that regulation down our throat after some mass shooting... It's pessimistic but I just feel I'll eventually be left with a pile of illegal parts if I build any "pistol" and I'm very much a buy-once-cry-once guy..

That's a pretty cool little gun. Seems like ,more and more companies are starting to address the market for lightweight chassis.

If I build it I'm going to Form 1 it to SBR it right away. I don't think "pistol braces" are going to fly for more than a few years before some politician or the ATF wises up and rams that regulation down our throat after some mass shooting... It's pessimistic but I just feel I'll eventually be left with a pile of illegal parts if I build any "pistol" and I'm very much a buy-once-cry-once guy..

Makes sense! I have one SBR maybe need to build another!

Before I get started, yes this is a serious (albeit humorously named) post with an actual thought through point and question.

View attachment 169360

So I had the idea to use an aluminum chassis with a Sig Sauer MCX folding stock and adapter for a kinda lightweight truck / backpacking / survival rifle. During my search I came across this chassis called "The Pork Sword". The more I looked at this little package (no pun intended) the more I like it and wanted a little Pork Sword of my own.

It got me thinking, with lots of hunters looking for that lightweight and affordable "mountain rifle" why isn't something like this more popular esecially with more and more hunters using suppressors where permitted. Even with a tax stamp to SBR your receiver so you don't have to use a "pistol brace" this appears to come out relatively affordable (sub $1500) and fairly lightweight too. Seems like a great lightweight hunting platform with a 600m usable range when shooting specific loads.
I looked into this but, a couple states regs I read stated that braces or supporting devices were not legal on "handguns" and rifles must have a barrel of 16" or longer. Not to mention the dumb atf rules of first a rifle, always a rifle. But if purchased as a "other" or hand gun you're good to go

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.