Plunger style ejector tension

Takni

I am wondering if the spring tension on the plunger of a surgeon action needs to be adjusted.

I've recently had a rifle built off of a surgeon action and I appear to be getting ejector rings on the brass earlier than I think I should. When I originally picked up the rifle I tried loading a round and was getting ejector swipes and couldn't hardly chamber a round. Talked to the gunsmith and he said to trim the spring on the plunger. So I took 2 coils off and everything worked like it should. But when I push on the plunger it's extremely tight.

My question is this if the spring is to tight/long will the pressure on the case from the plunger show a false pressure sign.

And I know people will say why didn't the gunsith chamber a round prior to me picking it up. I'd had him do a wildcat and i didn't get him a case.

Rifle specs
27 nolser throated for 170 bergers and 27 in Bartlein barrel.

Nolsers load data says their 28 nolser max for RL 33 is 89 grains for the 168 grain bullet.
I'm getting ejector marks at 82 grains and 0.010 off the lands with the 170 berger.

Could this difference just be non Sammi chamber and smaller bore diameter.

Reloaded for years just not wildcat's.

Takni,

I understand that you would like to solve this problem by yourself simply by asking a couple of questions but I don't think that is wise. There are several variables which figure into a solution.

The ejector hole could be out of round.
The ejector hole could be slightly undersized from a worn drill.
The ejector hole could be rough from a worn drill.
There could be a chip(s) in the bottom of the ejector hole or rust or rubbish.
The ejector spring might be from a slightly stiffer batch.

The chamber could be slightly tight. Did anyone measure the reamer?
Does the headspace gauge match the reamer?
Is the headspace correct?

These are things that the gunsmith should allowed to check in order to correct any problems or find and identify a manufacturing flaw.

I suggest calling him to have a discussion on the best way to resolve the problems.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.