Ejector problem?

johnnyk

I need some enlightening and a fix, if possible, from gunsmiths and/or members on here in the know.

Just to set the stage, I have a Savage 10, Accu-trigger with HS Precision stock, DBM and bottom bolt release. Factory varmint contour in .308 Win., 26".
Replaced the barrel with Shilen pre-fit from NSS in 6mmBR, 1-8t. Varmint profile, 26". Shoots great but could not get cartridges to feed or eject, at all, from original DBM. Read on another forum (leaves me now) that I needed a Savage DBM made for the 6mmBR. I searched off and on for a couple of months and low and behold, I found one! Amazing.

So here's the problem. Bolt will now pick up cartridges from the magazine and feed reliably into the chamber, with an occasional hickup. It's on the extraction / ejection that all goes down hill quick. The bolt(extractor) pulls the round from the chamber, the ejector kicks it off to the right but almost as soon as it touches the inside of the action it falls down on the forward part of the DBM. It's almost seems like the ejector doesn't have enough tension on the case head.

I just read an article (Bob Beckstrand) in the recent G&A Precision Rifle Shooter about a bolt action rifle in 6mm ARC built by Wade Stuteville (Impact Precision and Stuteville Precision). On the rifles maiden voyage, he spoke of the ARC case's (very similar to 6BR) ejection being weak and some just "dribble" out of the receiver. The fix was to install two ejectors at 2 & 4 o'clock on the bolt face when the bolt is open. That's when the proverbial light came on (for me). I don't know if a Savage bolt can have two ejectors, or if they're needed. Can a stronger ejector spring do the same thing? Anyone ever run across a similar scenario? "Someone help me, I have a flat tire"! (Geico Gecko)

Have you tried pulling the bolt back quickly when ejecting the fired case. That has actually worked for me.

I need some enlightening and a fix, if possible, from gunsmiths and/or members on here in the know.

Just to set the stage, I have a Savage 10, Accu-trigger with HS Precision stock, DBM and bottom bolt release. Factory varmint contour in .308 Win., 26".
Replaced the barrel with Shilen pre-fit from NSS in 6mmBR, 1-8t. Varmint profile, 26". Shoots great but could not get cartridges to feed or eject, at all, from original DBM. Read on another forum (leaves me now) that I needed a Savage DBM made for the 6mmBR. I searched off and on for a couple of months and low and behold, I found one! Amazing.

So here's the problem. Bolt will now pick up cartridges from the magazine and feed reliably into the chamber, with an occasional hickup. It's on the extraction / ejection that all goes down hill quick. The bolt(extractor) pulls the round from the chamber, the ejector kicks it off to the right but almost as soon as it touches the inside of the action it falls down on the forward part of the DBM. It's almost seems like the ejector doesn't have enough tension on the case head.

I just read an article (Bob Beckstrand) in the recent G&A Precision Rifle Shooter about a bolt action rifle in 6mm ARC built by Wade Stuteville (Impact Precision and Stuteville Precision). On the rifles maiden voyage, he spoke of the ARC case's (very similar to 6BR) ejection being weak and some just "dribble" out of the receiver. The fix was to install two ejectors at 2 & 4 o'clock on the bolt face when the bolt is open. That's when the proverbial light came on (for me). I don't know if a Savage bolt can have two ejectors, or if they're needed. Can a stronger ejector spring do the same thing? Anyone ever run across a similar scenario? "Someone help me, I have a flat tire"! (Geico Gecko)
as a rule short cases do not work well in the Savage actions. Wth the batrel off, i insert them into the bolt head and watch as i slowly rtrract them. The cade body sometimes will "wedge itself beteeen the right boly lug abuttment and the bolt guide rail. The abuttment and rail seem to "steer the case until it eventually falls out of the bolt head (drops). Using a dremmel and or small files i remove material in order to allow a smoother trip backwards for the case and cade neck.
This is acommon occurence whith the 6.5 Creedmoor vsde in some rechsmbrring/ rrbsttrlbscenarios. As the Creedmoor body is larger than some like thr 260 & 408and more likely to "wedge itself and pull out of the bolt head. The shorter casres when pushed up by the ej7mectoratr at a more extreme angle to the borr, leaving less grip by the extractor and smaller arrs for the ejector to push on. I believe thete is an enhanced ejector/extractor kit available at several outlets including Savage Shootets Supply and
Anothet outfit out of texas which the name is eliding me right now. I will reply with the name.
Good luck

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1ZQOsJGctMOD-oJYx3uod1 usually a new extractor & ejector with springs will cure a gaulty ejection problem in a Savage.