Pls help! O/U issues

Groot

Hey all,

Please bear with me as this is a longer story/post than I had anticipated.

I have an over and under that I've been having a bunch of issues with and I think 95 percent of the issues are stemming from some internal issue with the top lever latch system. It's a legacy pointer o/u so it's a cheap gun so I don't really want to send it off for service unless I absolutely have to.I'm quite handy and have worked on just about every firearm I've ever owned in one way or another but I don't know much about o/us. Other than what I've learned trying to figure this out.

The issue kinda started with the lever having to be positioned just perfectly for it to stay in the "open" position to the right and everything would function as it should.

This went on for a year or so and after lack of cleaning the bottom barrel would occasionally have a fired hull get stuck. At this point the top lever rarely stayed in the correct position and functioned properly. Took it home cleaned everything front to back, inside and out. Re oiled/greased all the parts and all seemed well.

Took it out a couple weekends later and the hulls ejected perfect BUT then the breach would open when firing! AND the levers wouldn't stay latched either. I fired 4 shots and 3 of them the gun broke open during the shot.

Took it home and again cleaned the crap out of it, this time I sprayed it down with brake cleaner to try to get all the junk out internally thinking that could have been the issue. After spraying it out and the excess brake cleaner out. The lever latched perfectly every time, tried it dozens of times. Perfect function. BUT if I apply oil/grease to the lever mechanism the lever will not latch. If I don't apply lubrication it ends up just about seized up and I can barely push the lever to the right.

Also if the top lever does latch in place to the right in the open position and I open the breach and the ejectors "go off" it causes the top lever to spring back to the closed center position.

I haven't shot it since the time referenced above.

So long sorry short, I'm looking for advice, recommendations, or any information on what could be the issue to:

1. What's the issue with the top lever? What parts could be causing the issue?
2. What the heck is up with the breech opening when fired?

I talked to legacy sports about a repair and the guy wouldn't give me any information and since it was out of the warranty period he wanted me to ship it to them for them to diagnose, but I'd have to pay to and from shipping, parts, and labor.

It seems like they came out with another o/u but the one I have is not what's in production now, I'd assume most of the internals would be roughly the same.

Attachments

• 5AF5E525-9959-4D69-AE5C-B5C3EAFEB5DA.jpeg
    5AF5E525-9959-4D69-AE5C-B5C3EAFEB5DA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • CA0F0624-ACA3-47F6-A6D6-4D8EADD41AA4.jpeg
    CA0F0624-ACA3-47F6-A6D6-4D8EADD41AA4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • AB27FD21-34FD-4FF6-A82F-3D11AFE4F5F2.png
    AB27FD21-34FD-4FF6-A82F-3D11AFE4F5F2.png
    49 KB · Views: 63
  • 165C0F87-CECB-4BE2-B19D-285CF59F139A.png
    165C0F87-CECB-4BE2-B19D-285CF59F139A.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 60
Probably take the stock off and watch where the malfunction is happening if, you don't want to send it in for repairs. Could be a weak spring or worn part. Good luck.

I've taken it apart many times and everything that you can see outside of the receiver mechanically appears to be in working order. The issue comes in with the parts that I can't see internally, I think at least. I'll more than likely try to pull everything apart internally tonight.

Yep, a broken spring is easy to spot but, a weak spring a bit tougher to detect. Something is not right in there. It seems some of the cheaper guns are crudely finished, like they built them on a time limit. Have found most are not really worth dealing with, safety and time wise.Sure hope it works out there for ya.

After getting it all apart crudely put together is a very accurate statement. The machining marks, burrs, and metal shavings everywhere are terrible. looks like the issue with the top lever is the pin that latches the lever is not lined up with the slot that it recessed into. It's off by around 1/16 to an 1/8 inch.