please help me chose a scope

rjackh

i just recently purchase a RRA 16" predator pursuit in .223 for hunting varmints and plinking and i need some glass on it. shots will be relatively close range on this gun. i also have a rem700 sps-v in .308 that i use for hunting and would like to start doing some long range shooting with. it currently has a little nikon 3-9x40 scope on it to get me by. my primary goal is to get glass on the AR. i do a lot of spotlighting for predators, so i need a scope that will do well in low light and at night.

i have kind of narrowed it down to zeiss conquest 3-9x50 with zplex or SWFA's SS 3-9x42 ffp mil/mil with the new mil quad reticle. the zeiss is a little cheaper, but doesn't have the tactical long range features that the SS does. i am assuming the zeiss has better glass though. i had planned on getting the SS for my .308 at some point anyways. getting it now in a QD mount would kill two birds with one stone. however, the .308 has a 20 moa base while the AR is a flat top. this means i would have to resight both guns everytime the scope moved back and forth right?

what do yall think i should do? part of me thinks i should just get the conquest now since it is geared more towards the type of shooting ill be doing with the AR, then worry about better glass for the .308 later on when funds allow.

sorry this is long, thanks for reading

I have a SS 3-9x42 with mil quad on a 280 rem and really like it. The glass is very clear and I have shot 8" steel targets out to 600 yds with no problems. If you will be switching it between rifles you can count on haveing to re-zero each time. After a while that could become a PITA.

As far as low light, it will work but it might take you a bit to get used to the reticle (FFP). Also I noticed tunneling from 3x to 4x so I dont go below 4x since the FOV does not appear to change.

I dont have any experience with Zeiss but I cant remember hearing anything bad about them. I dont think you can go wrong with either as long as you try to match the features to your intended use. My vote would be for the SS and switch as needed untill funds become available for a second.

Hope this helps.

I would go with a little more power if you will be shooting PD's. I would look into a Vortex DiamondBack, Viper, or the Weavers like the classic & 40/44. The Nikon, Leupold or Cabela's .223 scopes would also be a nice fit. I wouldn't want anything less the x14 for PD's/Varmints. The .223 is effective out to 500 yards when you learn how the bullet will react past 300 or so.

Jon

i wont be shooting any prarie dogs. i will be using this on coyotes/foxes and hogs. i dont expect to be shooting past 300 yds when hunting these things, so i figured 9x at the top end was plenty.

ya im strongly leaning towards that 3-9x50 conquest. i just read a little bit about leupolds new VX-R tactical patrol riflescopes. they seem like a good substitute to the SS if you wanted illumination. makes me want to wait for someone to make a good review on them, but i dont have time to wait that long...

Just make sure to get the 50mm obj. Isn't a huge deal during legal shooting hours for deer, but the difference between a 40-44mm and 50mm obj is a big deal at night. I put a 3-9x50 on my AR for coyote hunting all hours and couldn't be happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.