Pillar bedding: should pillars touch the action?

I actually read that article and the MacMillan article, which is what spurred thus question.

My first go around is going to be on a tikka in the factory walnut stock.

After that I have a Howa in a maple stock.

Earlier this year I undertook my first bedding project, a Howa in the factory wood stock. I used the aluminum "pillars" that came in the stock and epoxied them in. Then ground out everything for clearance and bedded with Devcon. So, ended up with bottom metal directly on the pillars, but bedding compound between the top of the pillar and the bottom of the action. Seems to work fine and the rifle still shoots great groups. It's a hunting rifle so I did not over think the whole expansion ratio business, will just give ample time to cool at the range between strings. Ideally will be one shot and done in the field!

I did take pictures throughout the whole process and i've been thinking about sitting down to do a write up, specific to bedding the Howa actions. I learned a lot of good info from this resource too: MatchGrade Bedding Compound Instructions

One thing nice with the G-10 pillars is the ease of shaping them. I was able to drag them across wet/dry sandpaper to finish the length and the angle on the ends to bring them right where I wanted them prior to gluing them into the stock. Easier then shaving aluminum. I'd get then the next time just for this reason alone, even though they cost a little more than aluminum.

One more question that is likely to open another can of worms is how thick does everyone run their bedding? I have read anywhere from as thin as possible up to 3/16". Both camps had decent reasoning for both.

As thick as necessary to properly remove any stresses from where the action and stock meet originally.

If it's too thin it's eventually going to crack and possibly flake away.

100 different answers, depending on location in the stock, material stock is made of (synthetic or wood), aluminum bedding block, quality of synthetic stock (tupperware or McMillan), ...

According to the tutorial, I bed the pillars and action at the same time, with pillars bolted to the action. Sometimes a little devcon squishes in between the pillar top and the action, but I see the pillar top easily.

I do not do 2 bedding jobs. The idea is stress free bedding, so one shot.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.