aluminum pillars on laminate stock????

cookjp

Guys I have two quick questions on stocks, Do I need to aluminum pillar bed a laminate stock or can i just glass bed it and get the same results,and have any of you ever had any dealings with Richards micro-fit stocks good or bad.
they have a thumbhole / target style that i like. Any help would be appreciated.

Guys I have two quick questions on stocks, Do I need to aluminum pillar bed a laminate stock or can i just glass bed it and get the same results,and have any of you ever had any dealings with Richards micro-fit stocks good or bad.
they have a thumbhole / target style that i like. Any help would be appreciated.

I would recomend Pillars on any stock because any stock without pillars WILL compress over
time.

As to the stock purchase I would strongly recomend going to StockysStocks.com (MBI, Inc.) Home Page
and see if they have your stock.

If they do you will have it in 3 or 4 days. It took over a year to get one from Richards Micro fit.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have one of Richards stocks, took about 3 to 4 months to get, and then the work starts. The one I got was VERY rough, but it turned out the way I wanted it in the end, and yes I used aluminum pillars and Devcon bedding.
Before you order from Richards contact Joel Russo, he is on this site, use "SEARCH" and send him a message.
Dave

I've got two from Richards, they do come rough and require a ton of sanding, but can be a very nice looking stock when done.

I've also got three from Joel Russo, they show up much much closer to finished than the Richards and they WILL be a very nice looking stock when complete.

If and when I ever need another laminated stock it will come from Joel.

Some of mine have pillars some don't, all are glass bedded. I don't notice any accuracy difference, but then again I'm no competative shooter. I guess for the small price to have it done you might as well.

Chris

Even though you are working with a laminated piece of wood, it will still have a "crush effect" over time. With that being said, pillar bedding is highly recommended. If you can't go the full route with the pillars, at least do a "skim bed" in the action area of the stock.

My quick answer would be Yes, use both pillars and glass bedding.

I've done two stocks from Richards, a laminate on my .375 RUM, and a AA Fancy walnut on my .300 Wby. I pillar and glass bedded both, and both shoot sub MOA. I glass bed the action, the floorplate, and the barrel channel and float the barrel.

I think the wood in the laminate is birch, and it is not the hardest of stock woods. Pillars are a definate advantage here.

Also, like has been said, Richards is not the quickest. My walnut blank took 4 months and did not have the grain shown on their web page for the grade that I ordered. I sent it back and it took another month for a new blank to arrive. It has great figure and finished into a beautiful stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.