Pillar bedding question...

WaltherP99

Ok, need a little help with this...been on my mind for a few days...

Recently ordered a thumbhole varmint stock (for a Savage 12) from EABCO (Revolution brand stocks) which comes with the pillars. I thought that they would already be installed but turns out they are not. Now, I installed them into the stock without any type of adhesive...is this ok? They seem to have an interference fit and are in there REALLY well! LOL

Any opinions or thoughts? Should I attempt taking them out and throwing a little adhesive on them or let well enough alone? Unfortunately I haven't been able to take it to the range yet due to my existing trigger guard not working so no results there...

I would bed both the action and the pillars for the best results. Otherwise, interference fit or not, they'll probably loosen over time.

If you do this, don't forget that the rear tang on a Savage should be floated.

Any opinions or thoughts? Should I attempt taking them out and throwing a little adhesive on them or let well enough alone? Unfortunately I haven't been able to take it to the range yet due to my existing trigger guard not working so no results there...

I think that they need to be epoxied in to prevent movement, and then bedded.

J E CUSTOM

Contacting smith to have it done properly!

Dr. Vette: Your opinion is much appreciated but I don't buy into the tang being free floated. Never have...Never will! I have a 12 VLP with tang contact that shoots 1/4" +/- consistently! Either way...thank you for your contribution!

Contacting smith to have it done properly!

Dr. Vette: Your opinion is much appreciated but I don't buy into the tang being free floated. Never have...Never will! I have a 12 VLP with tang contact that shoots 1/4" +/- consistently! Either way...thank you for your contribution!

WaltherP99,

Your opinion then goes against the majority of those who bed Savage rifles then, including myself. But, it's a free country and you too are welcome to do as you please.

Enjoy your rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.