Glass and Pillar bedding My local Gunsmith does not advise glass bedding

Toconnor50

Alright So I'm finally getting a Mcmillan A5 stock for my remington 700. I talked to my local gunsmith about installing it, I said I would like to Glass bed it and Pillar bed it. But he said: " there is no need to glass it to the receiver as that would not add to the accuracy. glassing it would allow the heat from the gun to be transfered to the stock and cause the stock to push on the barrel and cause inaccuracy. If, you really want this, Yes, I can do it.Price would be $225.00 Mike" I don't believe he is right since so many people on here talk about glass bedding and pillar bedding. What are your guy's thought's on this? should I take it to another gun smith? should I just have him do it?

" there is no need to glass it to the receiver as that would not add to the accuracy. glassing it would allow the heat from the gun to be transfered to the stock and cause the stock to push on the barrel and cause inaccuracy. If, you really want this, Yes, I can do it.Price would be $225.00 Mike"

What he should have told you was "Mike, I really don't know how to properly bed a barreled action into a stock, so I'm trying to give you some kind of excuse that may make you belive I know what I'm talking about."

Tell him to crawl back under his rock, and go find a competent custom rifle builder.

What he should have told you was "Mike, I really don't know how to properly bed a barreled action into a stock, so I'm trying to give you some kind of excuse that may make you belive I know what I'm talking about."

Tell him to crawl back under his rock, and go find a competent custom rifle builder.

Alright thats what I was thinking, He has no idea what he is talking about.

This! find someone else.

I have never seen bedding hurt accuracy. I have seen it help tremendously.

Just because you have a premium stock does not mean it will shoot as is.

If you don't bed it now you will always wonder "What It Would Do if I had".

Sometimes you can get lucky, But most of the time you don't.

Most non- bedded rifles are inconsistent. They may shoot great one day and poor the next, so why not bed and check that off of your list.

Your smith may be very good and he just doesn't like bedding. The choice, like the end results
will be yours.

J E CUSTOM

Find another smith and have him check the rest of the rifle ! If he isn't competent to bed a rifle I would not have any confidence in the rest of his work. He must be thinking of full length barrel bedding...at least thats what I hope. Either way he isn't an accuracy smith and that's for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.