Picking a long range scope?

Troutslayer

What brands should I consider when picking a scope for learning to shoot 1000 or more? I have never owned a scope that I could adjust MOA with a knob and it being such a speciality item, where do I start? I understand all the math and I want to get more into it. Holding over animals has worked so far but I want to be able to dial it up for real long stuff where that just doesn't work. My favorite scope now is a Leopold 4.5-14x40, good glass.

Say that price was no consequence, which would you get?
And which one is a good deal?
Which ones would you stay away from?

How much should I expect to pay for one?

What do you guys have?

Thanks a lot

I've got a couple of the loopies you mentioned (sans 50mm Objective lens). It's a good scope.

NF with a NP-R2 reticle is a popular next step up. No need for more than 4 clicks with the 10 MOA hold under and 20 over.

250_reticle_npr2.jpg

I use:
Leupold
6.5x20x50 Vari-X III 1 inch with turrets added (25-06)
6.5x20x50 Vari-X III LRT (300wsm)
8.5x25x50 Leupold VX III LRT (30-378)
8.5x25x50 Leupold VX III LRT (6.5x284)
6.5x20x50 Vari-X III LRT Boosted to 14.5x35 (7wsm)
Straight 10 Target model with turrets (222)(For my 9 year old)

The 6.5x20's are better for spotting shots, the 8.5x25's are a good balance of a finer hold on little critters but still sufficient field of view to spot shots, The boosted is great for taking the shot but sometimes I can not get back into position quick enough to spot the hit.

If set to its limits (sloped base & offset rings) a 1 inch tube will get you past 1k with a LR cartridge. But added step of getting target turrets added to a vari-x III.

My experiences:

Burris Signature....haze with sun, didn't care for the 1/8 clicks, limited elevation.

Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16x50...good view, squatty turrets, fat crosshairs

Tasco something with turrets....didn't completely settle after adjustment until 2nd or 3rd shot, a MOA was .905.

Only looked through Nightforce (BR model) clarity was not there for my eyes. Maybe one bad one, but scared me off for the price.

Price no consequence, my choice is 6.5x20 or 8.5x25 LRT $800 - $850, better deals can be had....
or a used Vari-X III LRT for a couple hundred cheaper.

Would also recommend 6x18x40 VX II fine duplex target model if not going much past 1K. $450 new
I set one up on a buddies 300 ultra and it works fine.

Trout,
Very simply, if money is not a concern then Nightforce NXS, US Optics, the actual MK4 from Leupold which are 10x or 16x and Schmidt and Bender. Not in that order, but I believe those are the current top-end scopes that you read about most here and on the tactical sites.

Top-end scopes offer superb optical qualities, incredible ruggedness and totally reliable and accurate turrets.

You will not get into any of the top-end scope for less than 1000 dollars, likely quite a bit more.

Does an average person need a 2000 dollar scope? Only if he likes to own the best, sort of like a Camry vs a Lexus - both good cars.

Good luck with your choices, and don't forget that topend scopes require topend mounts. The $ just keep flying away...

If price was not a concern, Night force is the way to go. If price is a concern, Nightforce also. You get what you pay for and I've handled both night force and loopies and the night force was a far more quality scope in my opinion. So I guess i would have to suggest a night force.

I would give IOR a look too.For the $$ or on its own merits its hard to beat a 16x IOR out to 1500 yards!!Don can ususaly beat the list price.16x IOR

Nightforce-are-the-best-overall-scope-period!!

I-own-three;-1-5.5x22x56-NXS-and-2-12x42x56-NXS-all-three-have-the-Double-Dot-Reticle.

Wildcat

Thanks guys. I was in Orofino Idaho today, that's where Nightforce US is based, small world (the steelhead fishing sucked by the way). How much do they cost? There are no prices on the web, is it like a restraunt that has no prices on the menu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif? As far as magnification goes, I'm just going to have to go with my instinct which tells me that I need something that goes as low as 6X but I don't know how high it should go. Any suggestions for how powerful it should be to say really see a deer clearly, count all the tines, from say 800 yards or even more?

As far as 100 MOA, first off, I hadn't even considered that that wouldn't be enough depending on the cartridge. Learning here. So there is a way to lift it up to compensate for a cartridge that drops more than 100 MOA, but then you could not use it for close shooting, correct?

One more thing, with those turrets is it cool to sling the gun over your shoulder and carry it through some brush or bang it around a little?

You can go to Dan lilja's website to get an idea

Lilja

I think BJ (Bill Bailey) might give you a good price.

I will add a few words of advice. The NPR2 reticle is great. The 56 mm objective is great for gathering light but you really need a adjustable cheekpeice because it mounts high. I have the 8X-32X and if I was doing it over I would get the next lower power. I just can't do much good shooting at the top end of the scope for some reason.

If hunting is to be your primary use for this optic I would consider nothing less than a Schmidt & Bender simply for its optical superiority. If price is a consideration, I would agree with most and go with Nightforce or Leupold. I have both S&B PMII's and Leupold Mk4 and VXIII and would consider Nightforce for target use if they offered first focal plane as an option. Until then, I'll stick with my S&B's. With my 4-16x50 PMII, picking a spot for shot placement is effortless at 800 yd. and the low profile metric knobs can not be accidentally moved by brush or branches.

If cost is no object don't forget about Hensoldt. Their prices are on par with s&b pmII though some models are a couple hundred cheaper. They also have more adjustment in most cases. I have one on the way that is a 3-12x56 with 137+ MOA of adjustment. They can be a little hard to acquire (I have info for their US representatives if anyone is interested) because they are just starting to get geared up for the US market and they need purchasers to sign an end-user agreement saying you won't sell it to the iranians or something. These are required by the German gov. because of their classification as true military products, perhaps a little overkill for standard hunting. You can also get them in your choice of first or second focal plane reticles (customer supplied custom reticles as well) for 3-12 and 4-16 models. Here is a link to some pics if anyone is interested. Also, there may be issues with shadowing of the sight picture in s&b 5-25 scopes though at the lower end of the adjustment range. Something to keep in mind if you prefer high magnification models. Just food for thought.

http://www.i-e-a.de/productssimple51.html

-polarcow

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.