Peterson basic brass questions

6mm06guy

I'm in the process of rebarreling my 8mm mag, I have a significant amount of nosler brass, but I noticed that Peterson has basic brass available for it, has anyone had any experience with reforming this brass? Is it good enough to form in 1 pass or should I get another die.

Yes. I've used new Peterson brass, and then up to 3 re-firings of it, in my 340 Weatherby. It's very good brass, and I had no problems with resizing, primer pockets, etc. I annealed after every firing though. Be aware that they may be thicker-walled and therefore may have slightly less capacity (mine were), so one should drop the pow charge down and work up again.

I shoot Peterson brass in all my belted mags and it's great. I noticed the new basics brass is more expensive than their 300win mag. If I was staying with 8mm Mag cartridge, I'd buy the 300WM and neck up.

I'm in the process of rebarreling my 8mm mag, I have a significant amount of nosler brass, but I noticed that Peterson has basic brass available for it, has anyone had any experience with reforming this brass? Is it good enough to form in 1 pass or should I get another die.
IIRC, @Bghunter338 has experience with it, too, but not necessarily for 8MM RM.

Last edited:
I have Peterson brass that I have 7 firings on, and brass is still going strong. One thing I have noticed, I'm not able to put as much powder in the brass compared to other brands.

Primer pockets seam to be pretty tight on all 7 firings. Don't have many bad things to say about it honestly.

Good luck!

Are you staying 8mm rem mag or are you changing to a different caliber??
When I formed to 7STW it only took one pass but I annealed it first

Are you staying 8mm rem mag or are you changing to a different caliber??
I'm staying 8mm, I have a new 1-9.5 barrel and a train load of new 221 hammers I haven't got to try yet. I thought about switching cases but this one is easy to headspace off the shoulder so switching doesn't gain me much.

I have some Peterson but very little, I am still waiting to get my STW to get home.
I just got a 100 count box of 8 Remington mag Bertram brass that I have to reform to 7mm

I seen this Peterson brass and hoped the stw guys had tried it.
They can also use .375 H&H.

1701050134651.png