Peterson 300 WM - Std Length vs. Long - Initial Data & Impressions

Thanks for the awesome review & summary.
Today I measured some 2x fired Norma cases. The CBDL (case base to datum line) had grown by 13 thou to fit my chamber, custom "match" chamber cut to min SAAMI specs. My new Peterson Long that I've been patiently waiting on measured with same equipment CBDL 1 thou under the 2x fired Norma. I'm believe I will see longer life & will benefit from 1st rd case cap not changing so much.

Thanks for the awesome review & summary.
Today I measured some 2x fired Norma cases. The CBDL (case base to datum line) had grown by 13 thou to fit my chamber, custom "match" chamber cut to min SAAMI specs. My new Peterson Long that I've been patiently waiting on measured with same equipment CBDL 1 thou under the 2x fired Norma. I'm believe I will see longer life & will benefit from 1st rd case cap not changing so much.
I got mine today and just finished prepping them. After inspection of them I really really love this brass. The necks are very symmetrical around in thickness. Very close wall thicknesses. The brass is very workable and not hard. Even more so than the ADG I've been working with for the past year. Not bashing ADG but I just ran into a lot that some brass is too hard. I'd say every 1 in 5 are too hard. Ended up having to anneal the whole lot of 200. Got 300 more to anneal before I can use them. PB is on the same level with Lapua for sure. I may slowly start switching to their brass as my older where's out. The problem is I have a few thousand to get to that point.

I got mine today and just finished prepping them. After inspection of them I really really love this brass. The necks are very symmetrical around in thickness. Very close wall thicknesses. The brass is very workable and not hard. Even more so than the ADG I've been working with for the past year. Not bashing ADG but I just ran into a lot that some brass is too hard. I'd say every 1 in 5 are too hard. Ended up having to anneal the whole lot of 200. Got 300 more to anneal before I can use them. PB is on the same level with Lapua for sure. I may slowly start switching to their brass as my older where's out. The problem is I have a few thousand to get to that point.
Longtine,

If you don't mind my asking, how did you test for hardness? I have run into problems that you are describing with other (lesser?) brands of brass, but it has always been tough for me to get any kind of real qualitative data on hardness.

I'm frankly surprised that you experienced those issues with ADG. I've never had an opportunity to load ADG, as pretty much all of my calibers are available either through Peterson or Lapua, so it has made it difficult/unnecessary for me to seek out any ADG, but that is still surprising information to me.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!

I really have no technical way to measure the hardness. I go by feel of how hard they are to trim, how hard they resize, how hard the necks expand through a mandrel and and how much pressure it takes to seat the bullets and so on. I had one case that collapse in the body because of how difficult it was for the necks to expand. I had several that you could tell expanding them that the necks were too hard to expand. Most expanded normal like always. But there were the 18 to 20% of them that were hard and made it difficult. I even got to the point of loading a few of them. You could tell on the pressure to seat the bullet were not all the same. There were that same percentage that would not seat like the rest. I ran them through a expanding mandrel to get my .002" tension on the necks as normal. Charged them with powder and seated the bullets. That percentage that had hardness issues I had to use triple the pressure to seat them. I also had to adjust the seating stem depth to get them down to the correct seating depth. There for my groups opened up over 0.5 moa across the board. I then pulled the bullets cause I knew I had issues with them. So I annealed a batch of them. Went back to my same loading procedure I use on this caliber and had zero issues as that with the neck tension and neck hardness. I have used ADG brass for 3 years and never had this happen. The lot of these I had were 800 pieces. So yeah, I was pretty disappointed in the ADG brass. Before that I used exclusively Lapua brass and still do on some rifles. I have used Peterson brass on 3 different rifles so far. Probably 500 rounds so far. It really really is quality brass. They are very very easy to prep right of of the box or bag if you get in bulk like I do. They just make it easy and a stream line process with very very tight dimension tolerances. The neck thickness all the way around really is just as consistent as Lapua. ADG brass on the necks will be from 0.0153" to 0.0171". Thats too much in my book. I have had it so bad I did have to turn some necks before on ADG. Have not had to on the Peterson yet. I never turned the necks on Lapua. That may not a big issue with 98% of reloaders but I'm a perfectionist on my rounds. I want to and have to know that they are all the same. So in the long run if I can run brass without any issues dimensionally or issues physically with the cases that will be the ones I use. So all this ranting about one lot of bad ADG brass you can tell I was very disappointed. I would say the say thing about Peterson, Lapua or whatever manufacturer caused me the grief, time and effort.

I really have no technical way to measure the hardness. I go by feel of how hard they are to trim, how hard they resize, how hard the necks expand through a mandrel and and how much pressure it takes to seat the bullets and so on. I had one case that collapse in the body because of how difficult it was for the necks to expand. I had several that you could tell expanding them that the necks were too hard to expand. Most expanded normal like always. But there were the 18 to 20% of them that were hard and made it difficult. I even got to the point of loading a few of them. You could tell on the pressure to seat the bullet were not all the same. There were that same percentage that would not seat like the rest. I ran them through a expanding mandrel to get my .002" tension on the necks as normal. Charged them with powder and seated the bullets. That percentage that had hardness issues I had to use triple the pressure to seat them. I also had to adjust the seating stem depth to get them down to the correct seating depth. There for my groups opened up over 0.5 moa across the board. I then pulled the bullets cause I knew I had issues with them. So I annealed a batch of them. Went back to my same loading procedure I use on this caliber and had zero issues as that with the neck tension and neck hardness. I have used ADG brass for 3 years and never had this happen. The lot of these I had were 800 pieces. So yeah, I was pretty disappointed in the ADG brass. Before that I used exclusively Lapua brass and still do on some rifles. I have used Peterson brass on 3 different rifles so far. Probably 500 rounds so far. It really really is quality brass. They are very very easy to prep right of of the box or bag if you get in bulk like I do. They just make it easy and a stream line process with very very tight dimension tolerances. The neck thickness all the way around really is just as consistent as Lapua. ADG brass on the necks will be from 0.0153" to 0.0171". Thats too much in my book. I have had it so bad I did have to turn some necks before on ADG. Have not had to on the Peterson yet. I never turned the necks on Lapua. That may not a big issue with 98% of reloaders but I'm a perfectionist on my rounds. I want to and have to know that they are all the same. So in the long run if I can run brass without any issues dimensionally or issues physically with the cases that will be the ones I use. So all this ranting about one lot of bad ADG brass you can tell I was very disappointed. I would say the say thing about Peterson, Lapua or whatever manufacturer caused me the grief, time and effort.
Thanks for the honest response.

What process/machine are you using to anneal them?

image.jpg

This was the lot number incase anyone wants to check theirs lol.

In case you haven't seen my classified posts, this stuff is available @ Grafs.com. Grab some quick. :)

250 Count:

50 Count:

i bought 2 of the bulk 250's from them. Can't believe it's still there.
Same here. Now, I just need to get enough projectiles and replacement barrels to last the life of the brass.

I have some Lapua 300 Win up for trade but no one wants to part with their 215's.

Last edited: