Perplexed on scope choice.

timberbuck

Finishing up a new 7 rem mag build and need a scope.

I can not find one with the features I want.

I am want to have 800 yard max capability.

18 to 20x top end minimum.
Zero stop and or locking turrets if they are exposed.
reticle with Moa marks for wind holds
not heavier than 25oz (hunting gun)

What I have on other guns:
Zeiss 4.5x14x44 with Z800
Swarovski Z3 4x12x50 with BRH reticle
Sightron S3 LRMOA 6x24x50 second focal with MOA 2

I have had good success with the ballistic reticles but want this time to try a turret twister with a reticle with MOA hash marks for wind.

Scopes I have considered;

Sightron, the SFP MOA2 reticle is way too small for a hunting gun in low light. I do not like the fact that the turrets do not lock on a hunting gun. I have considered the FFP MOA2 but cant find one to look at. Have also considered the illuminated SFP MOA2. Anyone used the FFP or illuminated SFP on a hunting gun?

Leupold VX6 3x18x44 with CDS, purchase 2 more CDS caps for different elevations but no reticle choice for wind holds.

Zeiss Conquest HD5 5x25x50-either Z800 or Zplex with locking turrets. Can't get the Z800 with the locking target turrets. (z800 has wind holds)

Swarovski Z5 3x18, 4w reticle with ballistic turret. How does this turret work?

Swarovski Z5 3x18 BRH and add outdoorsmans custom turrets? Best of both worlds?

Nightforce SHV 5x20 MOAR-fear it is too big and heavy for a hunting gun?

Not interested in Vortex Viper PST models-seen and read of too many problems.

Any others I should consider?

Bushnell Elite tactical? Anyone used the scopes with the GMDR reticle (not sure if I got the reticle name right) on a hunting scope?

Thanks.

Have picked up a few SWFA brand scopes equipped with their Milquad reticle. Very impressed with turrets on them as well with their mil adjustments.

Went with the Sightron SIII 6x24x50 with illuminated MOA 2, not worried that much about bumping the turrets. I like the 15 MOA per revolution of the elevation turret.

I have two Z5's with the BT, and love them . . . BUT . . . they won't get you to 800 without a prohibitively long zero. Once you set the zero-stop, you are limited to one rotation of the turret (13MOA if I recall correctly). These scopes have awesome glass, great durability, and light weight - but if I plan to shoot >600 yds I go to NF.

Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts