Peripheral Equipment you take hunting?

engineer40

It appears my wife's "shock and awe" is waning from the money spent on my reloading equipment 6 months ago. It's time I start planning for the next round of gear purchases.

I couldn't find a Sticky on this subject already. Sorry if I missed it.

I've been doing a bit of research and I have an idea of most things I will need. But what peripheral equipment do you guys pack to go hunting (not things like "extra socks")? I'm specifically asking about the equipment directly related to your shooting system and aid in making a long range shot.

There are multiple methodologies with this stuff. I am interested to hear what you guys answer back with.

Providing name brands is welcome also! Thanks!

Definitely a $70K new diesel 4X4 truck, $60K-$70K new fifthwheel and if that doesn't get her fired up add a built in generator and satellite tv system with a years subscription. Just tell her you need to be comfortable when you hunt. Good luck

Range finder
Bipod
Rear support
wind meter

What about a handheld GPS to give you altitude? Or does your wind meter / anemometer do that?

Ballistic charts?

Definitely a $70K new diesel 4X4 truck, $60K-$70K new fifthwheel and if that doesn't get her fired up add a built in generator and satellite tv system with a years subscription. Just tell her you need to be comfortable when you hunt. Good luck

Just sold my Class C motorhome last month. It was a good purchase in theory but took more maintenance than all of my other hobbies combined. But after owning it for 2 years I still sold it for more than what I paid for it. Amazing what some cleaning and elbow grease will do to the value of things.

What about a handheld GPS to give you altitude? Or does your wind meter / anemometer do that?

Ballistic charts?

Just sold my Class C motorhome last month. It was a good purchase in theory but took more maintenance than all of my other hobbies combined. But after owning it for 2 years I still sold it for more than what I paid for it. Amazing what some cleaning and elbow grease will do to the value of things.
You'd be smart to have a ballistic drop/wind chart for each of your rifles for the elevations where you hunt.

There's not an electronic device on the planet that won't occasionally fail you when you most need it.

A good spotting scope and/or binoculars should be considered "essential gear" as well.

Range finder Leica 1600
Havalon knife with extra blades
Swiss army pocket knife, must have "saw"
role of electrical tape
50 feet of real 7 strand para cord
2500 Kestral
shooting sticks
2 black garbage bags, whistle, unopended space blanket, fire starter(survival kit) that fits in any pocket. No good if it is not with you.

I do not take a bipod due to the terrain.

Range finder Leica 1600
Havalon knife with extra blades
Swiss army pocket knife, must have "saw"
role of electrical tape
50 feet of real 7 strand para cord
2500 Kestral
shooting sticks
2 black garbage bags, whistle, unopended space blanket, fire starter(survival kit) that fits in any pocket. No good if it is not with you.

I do not take a bipod due to the terrain.

Either you like to make sure 200yds is exactly 200yds or you shoot 1600yds off of your havalon hanging from paracord fastened to you swiss army knife with kestral taped to your scope for easy viewing.. which is it? :DSweet garbage bags for wind speed and direction, genius!!!

I get it you shoot off your sack lightbulb

I think the op was only referring to peripheral shooting equipment.

Screw on scope cap if real bad weather or tough fall down terrain.Safari sling,both hands are free for glassing.Good glass,spuds wipe attached.ACI and bubble on rifle,I use wipe on no fog like for skiing on all optics.Wind meter,drop charts,mildot master with animal size marked,lots snow interfers with lazer.My glass 10x32 El,Terrapin RF,Strider folder,caper knife also,Garmin gps,led light,sm head lamp,para cord,band aids,spare battery few things run on same.Sometimes small 5 w FM band radio.Flagging,windproof lighter.I hike late season in gators,mountaineer type Asolo with alum. crampon.Pack try to keep near 20#,meat duffle in system.Rifle last 5 yr ,338 NM ,March 3-25x52 F1 mil,Atlas bipod,dressed without bipod 8 3/4#and my lucky cowboy hat.

MY normal pack consists of havalon piranta a small bone saw of sorts I use a g7br2 range finder gun optics ammo and a little cheapo derringer for a finish off gun. Had a year where I seemed to have hit everything just a smudge to high in the shoulder that I left big gun in truck walked out to get them to find they weren't as dead as I thought and had to try to finish off with knife after 2deer and 1 elk in 1 year I got a derringer so I had a light better alternative to making a spear with a fillet knife and a long stick to finish off a paralyzed bull elk that still had full movement from its neck forward. I have a kestrel and night force program that I used to use that sits at home. It worked well but the g7br2 has worked well for me the last few years so I quite packing them. I know a lot of people pack kestrels for reading wind but I have found them generally kind of useless where I hunt because the canyons generally have lots of different winds that I have to account for that the kestrel can't read because they are down range. The kestrel may work better if you are on the plains though. In my opinion a good spotting scope, set of binoculars, a g7br2 or a good chrograph would be your next big purchase you'll be needing.

I break it down to categories.

Truck
Tent/Camp
Day Pack/on my person
Food
Kitchen
Clothes
Guns/ammo
Toiletries
Animals/Tack/Feed
Coolers/Water

There's all the gear of course. It never ends and you'll probably end up with a lot more than you need or want for that matter. Odds and ends I like that I'm not giving up:
Compass, Headlight w/backup flashlight I can find in the dark, 7x8ish tarp, cordage, moleskin, rain gear (Helly Hansen), slippers in the tent, balaclava or mad bomber hat in the bag, pillow or tested substitute, firestarter, garbage bags. In fall/winter I bring a backup pair of extreme cold weather long johns. An unplanned night on the mountain is not awesome.

Why do some of you take along garbage bags?

Hang it on a limb for wind direction and speed.

I don't get why everyone is giving this guy their laundry list when it is very clear in his original post that he is looking for peripheral SHOOTING equipment, not your knives, not your backpack, not your toilet paper.....etc.

I mis-understood the question.
Once my post was quoted I couldn't edit my post.

Garbage bags are good for meaty bits and pieces, and, in case you get stuck out overnight, you can build a sleeping bag to try to stay warm.

I mis-understood the question.
Once my post was quoted I couldn't edit my post.

Garbage bags are good for meaty bits and pieces, and, in case you get stuck out overnight, you can build a sleeping bag to try to stay warm.

I mis understood it as well, i infered peripheral to mean everything besides shooting equip, not everything besides the rifle. No big deal. Im interested either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.