PCP needs cleaning

dogdinger

Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single
i have a Benjamin Discovery PCP airgun that has been a ton of fun to shoot but the accuracy has gone downhill. i need to give the barrel a good scrubbing. does anyone have experience with this? I cant find the manual that tells how to disassemble the thing for cleaning the barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AJ

Check out Ted's HoldOver this guy is great on Pcp's. Otherwise check out airgun acadmy on youtube I think they show you how to clean a pcp. The benjamin maruder makes me drool. For the price I'll stick with my old benjamin 22 pump. Youtube has to have a dismantle video on a benjamin disco.

I have a maurader and when I clean it I remove bbl shroud. Then use trout line and a jag to pull through the brech. Rember most air rifle bbl are softer than powder burner bbls.

I use a hill hand pump works great I have filled my mrod at least a couple hundred time and no problems yet.

i have a Benjamin Discovery PCP airgun that has been a ton of fun to shoot but the accuracy has gone downhill. i need to give the barrel a good scrubbing. does anyone have experience with this? I cant find the manual that tells how to disassemble the thing for cleaning the barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. AJ

Why would you need to disassemble it to clean it?
I have an FX Cutlas & don't need to disassemble it.

Didn't it come with instructions for the proper procedure to clean it?

How do you guys fill? Hand pumps or scub tank? I hear alot about hand pumps going to crap after a couple of fills.

I use a 3-stage hand pump for mine. An aluminum tank is only rated for 2000 psi.
Mine needs to be pumped up to 3200 psi (220 BAR). Mine is ready to be pumped up again at 2200 psi.
My hand pump is still working fine after 5 1/2 years.

PCP air rifles are properly cleaned by pulling an oiled patch through the bore 2 or 3 times immediately after use. PCP air rifles produce moisture, and the patch dries the bore and applies oil to prevent rust. Especially important if you have a Marauder, as the shroud holds in moisture.

All pellets should be properly oiled before using in the PCP rifle. This will prevent leading of the bore. This is NOT what you do with a springer air rifle, as the oil will produce dieseling.

I NEVER scrub the bore of my mirror polished BSA Lonestar .25 cal PCP air rifle. If you do, use a nylon brush, as air rifles use mild steel as it takes a much higher polish that ordnance steel. However, the mild steel is more easily damaged by harsh cleaning practices.

ALWAYS, keep some oil in the bore of a PCP air rifle unless it is the Benjamin or Sheridan air rifles that use brass barrels. The brass barrels will not lead foul or rust, and are best for those who don't like maintenance.

Ammonia cleaner gets out leading from PCP air rifle barrels, but see that it doesn't stay on anodized aluminum parts as it will affect the finish. It is also somewhat toxic to humans. By staying with a light coat of oil in the barrel and on the pellets, leading is eliminated in a PCP air rifle.

I only use a pull-through oiled patch in my PCP air rifle, and there are guys in England who NEVER clean their bore at all as long as they use oiled pellets and the accuracy stays constant.

I use a 3-stage hand pump for mine. An aluminum tank is only rated for 2000 psi.
Mine needs to be pumped up to 3200 psi (220 BAR). Mine is ready to be pumped up again at 2200 psi.
My hand pump is still working fine after 5 1/2 years.

I just noticed I was wrong about what I said about aluminum tanks being rated for only 2000 psi. I knew better than that, I don't know why I wrote that. Sorry for the error.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.