patch cutter

I would think any 11/4 inch hole punch will work, however they are expensive.

I do know of folks taking a 11/4 hole saw and grinding the teeth off and then sharpening the edge. They then place the hole saw in a drill and cut the patches from a sheet of material with using a telephone book as a backing.

Don't think the wad cutter will work. It cuts the material much too small (.515) if the user is wanting to use a patch and ball. If using PRB, the patch needs to be somewhere around an 1 1/4.

If you are making just a few patches for casual shooting take a piece of thin cardboard like the side of a cookie box. use a compass and lay out 1 1/4 circle cut it out. Cut pillow ticking into 1 1/4 strips, then cut into 1 1/4 squares. Then lay Cardboard pattern on square and cut into circles.

For more patches required. Go to a hardware store or plummers supply and get a piece of 8 inch X 1 1/4 inch black gas pipe with no threads. Grind and file an angle on one end till sharp. Use a board to lay 3 or 4 layers of patch material and with hammer cut patches, hyy

I want my patches to be of this size!

IMG_0679 by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I then twist each patch and cut at the muzzle such as:

PRB by Sharps Man, on Flickr

I've got PLENTY of pillow ticking!

Seems to work quite well!

100 yards using Hawken barrel sights. Two high shots were before I learned just how much of the front sight NOT to take! 50 caliber PRB using 100 grs. Goex 2F and the Hawken flintlock.

100yd by Sharps Man, on Flickr

FlPerc by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.