Passing on reloading skills

I am just getting into hand loading myself and wish I had someone local to really teach me one on one. You can learn a lot by reading the books from Nosler, Hornady, etc. and some of the reputable YouTube guys, but I'd rather find a trusted local master that can teach me the ways, help me establish a load development process, and get me going. I built a nice little bench, have some basic but quality tools/gear with a single stage press, and finally have enough components together to make some loads (still can't get my hands on any gold medal federal primers for large rifle or magnum however). I've only got as far as decapping once-fired brass and full-length sizing them, but the easy part is done and cases are cleaned. I'm in Colorado and I'm sure there are a lot of skilled hand loaders around here, but I just don't know where to find them or how to ask for help to see who'd be willing to spend some time doing a couple loading sessions.

Attachments

• BB1B3107-6A2B-44F3-B951-2A4D2C5F12E6_1_105_c.jpeg
    BB1B3107-6A2B-44F3-B951-2A4D2C5F12E6_1_105_c.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 30
Dad started me off reloading on a Mec Jr for dove hunting. Old Alcon wads, 20g Savage side by side. Hard to screw up loading shot shells other than bird shot all over the kitchen floor! Later on, he got me a 6mm Remington, Lee Nut cracker dies. I had to go over to a friend's house to use his rock chucker to full-length size. I made $1.35 per hour driving a School bus in the 10th grade, 72 passengers. We got paid once a month, and my take-home was $72 for the month. All my money went to powder, primers, Sierra 85g bthp that was $2.35 per box with a 25 lb bag of bird shot(reclaimed) running $3.00. I got $1.25 per hour for washing cars at the Ford place in the Summer, walked to and from work, and picked up pop bottles out of the ditch for a penny each, and cut grass with a push mower for $5.00 per yard....I was RICH!

I am just getting into hand loading myself and wish I had someone local to really teach me one on one. You can learn a lot by reading the books from Nosler, Hornady, etc. and some of the reputable YouTube guys, but I'd rather find a trusted local master that can teach me the ways, help me establish a load development process, and get me going. I built a nice little bench, have some basic but quality tools/gear with a single stage press, and finally have enough components together to make some loads (still can't get my hands on any gold medal federal primers for large rifle or magnum however). I've only got as far as decapping once-fired brass and full-length sizing them, but the easy part is done and cases are cleaned. I'm in Colorado and I'm sure there are a lot of skilled hand loaders around here, but I just don't know where to find them or how to ask for help to see who'd be willing to spend some time doing a couple loading sessions.
If you don't get offers from someone in Colorado you can google
rifle and handgun reloading dvd's like this:
There are many out there but personal attention is best as you can ask questions and get real answers,unlike dvd's.
There is common language reloaders use that needs to be explained and since I have not seen the dvd's I don't know if they explain those.
Hope this helps

Dad started me off reloading on a Mec Jr for dove hunting. Old Alcon wads, 20g Savage side by side. Hard to screw up loading shot shells other than bird shot all over the kitchen floor! Later on, he got me a 6mm Remington, Lee Nut cracker dies. I had to go over to a friend's house to use his rock chucker to full-length size. I made $1.35 per hour driving a School bus in the 10th grade, 72 passengers. We got paid once a month, and my take-home was $72 for the month. All my money went to powder, primers, Sierra 85g bthp that was $2.35 per box with a 25 lb bag of bird shot(reclaimed) running $3.00. I got $1.25 per hour for washing cars at the Ford place in the Summer, walked to and from work, and picked up pop bottles out of the ditch for a penny each, and cut grass with a push mower for $5.00 per yard....I was RICH!
I must be much older as I never got 5.00 per yard.50 cents to 1.00 depending on size of yard,or maybe I lived in a more poor area.(Deep South)
A new box of 32 win special was around 6.00 per box iirc.I bought shotgun shells per shell.5 shells at a time.
My how times have changed

I have had several pe0ople say they wanted to learn how to reload . What it really came down to was they wanted to watch me reload ammo for them using my equipment brass ,bullets,powder ,primers because I had so much of everything on hand . I told them it was way cheaper for me if they would just go out and buy their own ammo.

I have had friends want me to teach them to reload as they wanted to "get into it". They brought over a bunch of whatever kind of brass in various states and wanted to learn to reload on that miss mash of brass. I gave them a list of things to purchase, and a list of where to purchase the components, never heard from them again.

I have had friends want me to teach them to reload as they wanted to "get into it". They brought over a bunch of whatever kind of brass in various states and wanted to learn to reload on that miss mash of brass. I gave them a list of things to purchase, and a list of where to purchase the components, never heard from them again.
Sounds about right.

Wyoming Trusts are unique. Not only is there a Trustee, but there can also be a Trust Protector to ensure the Trustee adheres to the instructions and codicils of the Trust. If they are not, then the Protector can fire the Trustee and appoint another. The kids and grandkids basically can't sell anything when we're gone. If they don't take care of everything they're left in Trust, it will all be taken away from them and sold. The proceeds will all go to a historical church to help preserve it, and to fund bible study. That 'everything' includes the shop, firearms and the reloading room.

I don't expect it will a problem in the next two generations, it is after that I wonder about. We have tried to make sure our wishes will be adhered to; so that our more distant offspring will have the chance to learn the value of faith, work and self-sufficiency, and enjoy all the benefits that come from them. Not to mention to be prepared to cope with whatever the future may bring.

I have had several pe0ople say they wanted to learn how to reload . What it really came down to was they wanted to watch me reload ammo for them using my equipment brass ,bullets,powder ,primers because I had so much of everything on hand . I told them it was way cheaper for me if they would just go out and buy their own ammo.
Yep I have come across that too. And now I always say bring the components and I tell them what that is and bring the firearm we will load for

Ask at your local gun shop that sells reloading components, they know who is reloading and probably the better ones. Most reloaders will take the time to help you, kind of like fly tiers. Most small shops are about 10% higher in cost than Midway or Cabela's but being loyal to your local shop will be worth paying the extra cost.

You are halfway home. Don't worry about expensive primers for your first loads just get primers that match the load. Do you have a good set of calipers and a good powder scale? Once you have a way to prime the brass and know your cartridge dimensions you are almost there. Read the data and start low. They call that a ladder test. Read up on pressure signs about primers and bolt lift. You'll figure it out. Always wear safety glasses.

If you have a factory round it's pretty easy to spin down the die to match it after charging.

I have many friends that HUNT, and love to hunt, but shooting is chore!! . So if they go find ammo at a deal for $35 bucks, they will but two boxes and that should last two or three years. I load for them, free, 308/30-06 ect. Even watching me annoys them. To many steps, too much measuring, too much time!!! I have come to understand that the level of interest and enjoyment I have for handloading, is just not shared by them. I suppose if they wanted me to go to soccer or hockey game, or something like that, I would like wise have Zero interest.

I firmly believe that reloading is a skill that is being lost bit by bit. It's far to easy to just go buy it new rather that attempting it. Some say, "it's the cost of getting started". There's always a cost in anything you do.

But ultimately, the skill is dwindling.

Have any of you mentored anyone? Taught classes? Showed what you know?

I'm talking about "in person" mentoring/teaching only.

Regrettably no…..not passing on the skills nor the passion for shooting!

We live pretty rural, and are fairly reclusive…..heck, for the past 20 years I've barely done any reloading for mu wife and I. Partially because of time constraints (far too much work here and too little energy), slowly building a decent inventor, and of recent…..the component shortages!

None of our children (hers or mine) have shown any interest in reloading and little in shooting or hunting! My grandkids (daughter's kids) that are 1500+ miles away have a great interest in hunting (thanks to their Dad) are showing interest in reloading….but with very limited cash and a fear of the unknown, it's just not happening! ☹️

When I "croak" they'll have the opportunity to get a lot of stuff….but, it will probably be too late for them by then! ☹️

Yep, a lot of excuses….."but just the facts, mam"! 😉 memtb

Most everyone I know would rather pay me to load custom hunting ammo for them than learn to do it their selves. Some I force to come over after I've perfected the load and have them load the rest of the ammo they want. Already have it set up so they actually do have some knowledge of the process. But most of the young men have jobs,kids in sports, then trying to get some free time for family events. The world has changed. Every thing is instant gratification. Door dash, Google, Facebook, You tube. We're dinosaurs. But!!!!! When poo hits the fan blades and factory ammo is no more. People with components better not advertise the fact.

Regrettably no…..not passing on the skills nor the passion for shooting!

We live pretty rural, and are fairly reclusive…..heck, for the past 20 years I've barely done any reloading for mu wife and I. Partially because of time constraints (far too much work here and too little energy), slowly building a decent inventor, and of recent…..the component shortages!

None of our children (hers or mine) have shown any interest in reloading and little in shooting or hunting! My grandkids (daughter's kids) that are 1500+ miles away have a great interest in hunting (thanks to their Dad) are showing interest in reloading….but with very limited cash and a fear of the unknown, it's just not happening! ☹️

When I "croak" they'll have the opportunity to get a lot of stuff….but, it will probably be too late for them by then! ☹️

Yep, a lot of excuses….."but just the facts, mam"! 😉 memtb
There is Youtube today, so pretty easy to see most any simple task being done. If a guy starts a newbie off, with a simple straight wall pistol or rifle case, most any kid 12 years or up gonna figure it out, with mostly just the written instructions in an old loading manual.

Recent Posts