Paint for rifles... what type, how goes it do?

superlite17

Hello all, I have long pondered painting weapons, but i have thought i could not paint black or blued weapons as they need oil and perhaps humidity could penetrate porous paint and cause pitting/rust. Well, i finally have my stainless savage 22-250 varmint gun after MANY valuable recomendations here. With it being stainless and having a composite stock I have wondered... Why not paint it the puke Olive drab I have always wanted?
Have any of you done it? If so, how did it hold up? Is there a certain kind of paint I can order? I have air brush, air painters, etc and assume this type commercial epoxy would be the ticket.
Any insight, advice, etc?

Duracoat works pretty well and doesen't take that much prep but if your wanting a realy top notch job then its best either bead or sand blast the parts so that the pant has a little more to "grab" onto.
Duracoat also makes a new paint that has ceramic in it and is suppoesed to be alot tougher

Also Brownells Aluma-Hyde II is pretty good considering it comes out of a rattle can.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts