Pac-Nor Polygonal barrel for 300wsm ???

bjlooper

I have a borden action ordered, that is going into a 300wsm. I'm considering using a Pac-Nor Polygonal barel. Does anyone have a opinion on these barrels.
Thanks
DR B

I have a Lothar Walther polygonal rifled barrel in a Winchester 70 300 wsm. It seems much easier to clean, its accurate and its a tad bit faster than cut or button rifled barrel.

I havent had any problems with it but I have had a problem with a Pacnor barrel.

They sent it to me and started to chamber it and from first contact with the reamer it chattered.

I did a hardness test on it and found it to be RC23. They claimed it was a RC28 and said their testing equipment tested it at RC28.

Its a long story but the barrel was to soft and still is. I'd look at Lothar first. After dealing with Pacnor I dont think I'll ever order another barrel from them.

It may be a one time experience but it wasnt fun.

Dave

I have a friend who orders them by the dozen and has good luck with them but it is not impossible to get a bad one!But there are several great shooting Pac/Nor barrels among my shooting friends. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifDavesok did Chris not make the barrel good?I have heard where he has replaced faulty barrels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have two in 300 WSM now, one is 30" and one is 31". Both are 12 twist for the 187 BIBs.

I have a 28" 1-11 # 4 contour in 30 cal also on order.

Quite a few of the the BR guys are using all calibers and profiles and doing extremely well

BH

I have a Pac-Nor super-match 3 grove 1 in 12 on my 308 and I found this barrel exceptionally accurate and a breeze to clean. I also notice that I'm getting higher velocity on average following any given load listed in any reloading manual.

Ackleyfan I would like to go with the Broughton 5c barrel, but they won't turn smaller than a #3. I'm going to barrel my rifle with #2 flutted. This rifle is going to be a Long Carry Rifle.
DR B

I've had a bunch of the Pac-Nor polygonal barrels, ~ 10. Many shot extremely well and most shot exceptional (as installed in custom "clened up action" rifles. One was a turd and I had to replace it, it was a 223 that would not group to smaller than about 1.5MOA. Before I had that barrel replaced I had it borescoped and it was unbelievable how many obvious anomalies there were. In one spot it looked like it had been gouged (de-laminated type look), there were "hard spots with the trailing comets" and generally a mess. I'll see if I can find the section and maybe get a picture or two.

On the good shooting polygonal barrels I several times tried to get them to shoot monolithic bullets (Barnes & Lost River (the Lost River attempt was on a special deal with Warren Jensen to test polygonal)) but these solid, non-copper-jacket lead would not shoot very well at all and the pressures went high pretty quick even with listed minimum loads.

I've had Schneider polygonal too but based on the Pac-Nors I didn't try Barnes in it.

I'd say I've had better than 30 custom rifles built of all types and I now no longer use polygonal.

I'd go with a quality 5R type or high end conventional that's been hand-lapped by the barrel-smith.

DR.B, Go to Bordens web page and look at the all black light weight 300 WSM it weighs 5 3/4 with rings I believe it has a #2 Hart at 22 1/2" Do you really want a 300 short mag any lighter? I didn't think anyone would flute a #2,are you fluting for looks or weight reduction? what kind of weight are you working towards? Ackleyfan

Ackleyfan This is copied from Bordens web page

Hart #2 barrel without flutes-about 5 3/4 pounds total rifle weight with rings
Hart #2 Barrel with flutes -5 1/2 pounds total rifle weight with rings

I'm going to try to build my rifle as close to 5 pounds as possible. The Alpine action weighs less than the SSR action.
Jim also uses a McMillian Hunter's Edge (21-23oz)stock, which is heavier than the Hi-tec (17oz)and the Lone Wolf (12-16oz) stocks that I'm considering.

[ QUOTE ]
Davesok did Chris not make the barrel good?I have heard where he has replaced faulty barrels

[/ QUOTE ]

Sniper2
that barell is on my gun, and no they did not make it right. they blamed machining abilitys and the reamer as the reasons for chattering. the shoulder chattered real bad from the start. we loped off a half inch and tested the hadrness. it came out to 23 on a rockwell tester with a calibration of .5+/-. We sent the barrel back to pac nor as well as the reamer and test piece. they short chambered the barrell with out the pilot installed and tested the test piece. the test they did, they said it was 28 rc but there error range was +/- 5 rc not the .5 that our tester had ( dave and i are in the military and everything we use gets calabrated at least yeary if not twice a year)

the broughton and krieger barrels we made at the same time, both machined flawlessly and were over 28 rc when we tested them. the same brand reamers were used for all the barrels. They were brand new Dave Manson reamers.

so i will not buy another barrel from pac nor

d-a

DR.B put a good brake on other wise it will be easy to carry and hard to shoot! Btw I have a Timberline on the way ,looking forward to seeing it soon,You have a fun project underway let us know how it turns out!later,ackleyfan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.