Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

6.5 Creedmoor vs. .308

One final question on the caliber. I'm pretty set on the Creedmoor after a lot of research and the opinions of others here. My last question on the caliber is this:

Is there anything the .308 will do that the 6.5 Creedmoor won't do better?

Thanks again guys!

Hello, I've had a lot of long-range guns and as for your best dollar spent is the Savage with the HS stock it'll do 1/2" moa out of the box.
If you look on line the best long range rifle is an HS Precision you usually can find a really good one used for $2,000 to $2,500.

So just to make sure I understand this, it seems like the .308 is going to hit harder at whatever distance, but will be more affected by wind and drop so it might lose accuracy out past 600 or so yards.

The Creedmoor won't hit as hard, but is going to be more accurate at the longer distances due to the more aerodynamic bullet negating some of the wind and drop.

As far as the rounds, it looks like there are good factory options for both, with the .308 obviously having a much larger selection since that round has been around so long.

Anything I'm missing?

So just to make sure I understand this, it seems like the .308 is going to hit harder at whatever distance, but will be more affected by wind and drop so it might lose accuracy out past 600 or so yards.

The Creedmoor won't hit as hard, but is going to be more accurate at the longer distances due to the more aerodynamic bullet negating some of the wind and drop.

As far as the rounds, it looks like there are good factory options for both, with the .308 obviously having a much larger selection since that round has been around so long.

Anything I'm missing?
A properly loaded .308 will hold excellent accuracy beyond 600 yards.

A properly loaded .308 will hold excellent accuracy beyond 600 yards.

But will it still be less accurate than a properly loaded 6.5 Creedmoor round?

I guess that's where I'm stuck on this question of caliber. It seems like *most* are claiming the .308 is less accurate than the Creedmoor at long (we'll say 700-1K) distances due to the bullet drop from the heavier bullet. There is also what seems to be a fact that the .308 gets pushed around more with wind.

I'm trying to figure out if they are comparing apples to apples (say factory ammo to factory ammo), or, if the guys that say the .308 is accurate are ONLY getting that accuracy with handloads?

Any thoughts on that?

I don't think anybody said one will be more accurate than the other.

It is more a fact that the external ballistics of the 6.5 is going to be better i.e. Less wind drift and somewhat flatter trajectory, making hits at long range somewhat easier.

I don't think anybody said one will be more accurate than the other.

It is more a fact that the external ballistics of the 6.5 is going to be better i.e. Less wind drift and somewhat flatter trajectory, making hits at long range somewhat easier.

That's kind of what I meant, but the way you worded it is a lot better than I did.

I guess to me being easier to make hits at long range = accuracy.

I read the first 6 pages and skipped to the last 2. I guess you settled on the 6.5 Cr. I'm a bit surprised. Not that you chose a 6.5. That's the best range calibre in my opinion. Low recoil, doesn't heat the barrel as fast, Highest BC, just a great caliber. Not to mention it keeps winning long range competitions.
What does surprise me is the choice of the Creedmoor over the Remington 260. Based on the fact that you don't reload and the availability of ammo. Even if you did reload Rem 260 brass is available in all major brands including Lapua.
As for a rifle I would look at HS Precision (Not interested in soap opera here). .5 moa guarantee and great quality.

What does surprise me is the choice of the Creedmoor over the Remington 260. Based on the fact that you don't reload and the availability of ammo. Even if you did reload Rem 260 brass is available in all major brands including Lapua.
As for a rifle I would look at HS Precision (Not interested in soap opera here). .5 moa guarantee and great quality.

The cost per round is roughly twice what the Creedmoor is. Not a big deal if I decide to reload someday (which is a possibility), but a much bigger deal now that I'm not planning on it.

I'm not super familiar with the 260 Remington, so is there something it does that the Creedmoor doesn't do, especially for what I'm looking for?

Probably because an HS rifle is $3,000 compared to a $900 savage.
You are right. On page one the op said he was looking for a 2k to 3k rifle. He was also looking for .5 or under moa. I realize this is at the top of the price range but fits the bill. Unless he changed his price range later. I only read the first 6 pages.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.