OTC Idaho Elk & Mule Deer Hunting

stx

Anyone know any good areas to hunt with over the counter elk/mule deer permits in Idaho? My son recently moved there and we're wanting to plan a hunt but don't know the areas with the best chance for success on decent bulls/bucks with OTC permits! This may not even be feasible but just thought I'd ask due to the vast knowledge at this site! Thanks in Advance for any help!

Anyone know any good areas to hunt with over the counter elk/mule deer permits in Idaho? My son recently moved there and we're wanting to plan a hunt but don't know the areas with the best chance for success on decent bulls/bucks with OTC permits! This may not even be feasible but just thought I'd ask due to the vast knowledge at this site! Thanks in Advance for any help!

Most of idaho is over the counter. There only a few areas that are controlled hunt only for big Bulls or bucks. And usually not the same area.
The best idea is go to the idaho fish and game page and go to hunt planner. There you can research hunting odds of general tag hunts. The success rate in idaho is now at an almost all tome high and is projected to be high this year as well.

What part of Idaho are you looking at?

It doesn't really matter.....somewhere where we'd have a fairly good chance of killing a
decent bull. My son has put us in for a secondary draw for left over tags in unit 44 or 49.... not sure which. There were only a few tags left in each so I know the odds aren't good of getting them, but we decided to put our names in anyway. He lives in Parma and is doing all the research and says if we don't draw tags, unit 25 seems to be a good area (from what he reads) for over the counter tags. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Being a South Texas Brush Popper, all of my elk hunting has been done through an Outfitter and my son wants to try to learn to hunt Idaho now that he's living there so he wants to try it on his own. He's talking to as many people as possible but seems like he's drawing blanks or no one wants to share info! Imagine that! Thanks in Advance for any suggestions or ideas!

Well as a resident of idaho. I understand people's reluctance.
I hunt a lot and when I was younger I loved to take new guys to the area hunting. And you know what? I got burned. Find guys not only hunting in areas I showed them but bring 3 and 4 guys. And guess what? Never inviting me along when they had a good thing. But always bugging me to take them to my spots. In fact I has a guy actually lease ground I and my friends had permission to hunt on for years. He had the gall to go to the owner and offer him 10,000 bucks and kicked me off the ground.
So I understand why people are reluctant. I live near your son. If he wants he can pm me and I ll give him some general info on 25 and other units in the area.

Well as a resident of idaho. I understand people's reluctance.
I hunt a lot and when I was younger I loved to take new guys to the area hunting. And you know what? I got burned. Find guys not only hunting in areas I showed them but bring 3 and 4 guys. And guess what? Never inviting me along when they had a good thing. But always bugging me to take them to my spots. In fact I has a guy actually lease ground I and my friends had permission to hunt on for years. He had the gall to go to the owner and offer him 10,000 bucks and kicked me off the ground.
So I understand why people are reluctant. I live near your son. If he wants he can pm me and I ll give him some general info on 25 and other units in the area.

I certainly understand where you're coming from! I've been an Outfitter and guiding deer hunters for 30 years but I lease the ranches from the landowner so I don't have to worry about people I hunt coming back to hunt those areas. But I also guided bass fishing in South Texas for over 15 years and was always reluctant to show my better spots that I used for tournaments to local fishermen! I can't tell you the number of times I found "clients" in my fishing holes and the arguments and confrontations it lead to....but that's all part of it....it was Public Water just like the Public Hunting Land you're referring to! So I don't blame them at all for being reluctant to share information. That's just the "Nature of the Beast"! Thanks again for your help!

Your best bet is to research the areas with tags available and the highest harvest rates and then look at access. The only way to kill elk consistently is to know their escape routes or go where no one else is willing to go to get them. So be ready to hike after you find sections of land that are devoid of roads. Elk habits can't be learned overnight, books and the internet will only teach you so much. After that you have to hit the woods. If you can figure them out and are willing to work for it they aren't that hard to kill. Most people don't spend enough time or effort at either. That is why the vast majority of the elk are killed by a very small amount of the hunters. The rest are killed by luck.

We shot 3 bulls last year out of one herd of about 50 animals and it was a 7+ mile pack each day for 3 days. Not many people are willing to put that kind of effort out but that is why there were 200 elk on the ridge we shot ours from. Most people see them from a mile away and turn their head and look closer. Instead figure out how to get there and get them out. I don't advocate packing them up hill at all if avoidable, they are too heavy. A boned out bull will be 200-250lbs of meat. I took mine out in 2 trips last year and helped with one of the others on the 3rd trip but most people can't handle 100+lb loads. The average person can handle 50-60lbs without killing themselves and some can do up to 80ish. But that means 3-4 trips per elk if your doing it alone. To be perfectly honest most people are just to lazy and are not willing to put the effort out to kill elk. There are very few easy bull elk hunts on public land unless it's pure luck.

Being from Texas the elevation will kill you for a few days so I would come early and stay as long as you can. If nothing else be observant and learn all you can about what kind of terrain they consistently like. Most elk like between 5000' and 8000' here in SW ID (I'd concentrate around 6-7000') but there is a lot of real estate that falls in that elevation range.

Your best bet is to research the areas with tags available and the highest harvest rates and then look at access. The only way to kill elk consistently is to know their escape routes or go where no one else is willing to go to get them. So be ready to hike after you find sections of land that are devoid of roads. Elk habits can't be learned overnight, books and the internet will only teach you so much. After that you have to hit the woods. If you can figure them out and are willing to work for it they aren't that hard to kill. Most people don't spend enough time or effort at either. That is why the vast majority of the elk are killed by a very small amount of the hunters. The rest are killed by luck.

We shot 3 bulls last year out of one herd of about 50 animals and it was a 7+ mile pack each day for 3 days. Not many people are willing to put that kind of effort out but that is why there were 200 elk on the ridge we shot ours from. Most people see them from a mile away and turn their head and look closer. Instead figure out how to get there and get them out. I don't advocate packing them up hill at all if avoidable, they are too heavy. A boned out bull will be 200-250lbs of meat. I took mine out in 2 trips last year and helped with one of the others on the 3rd trip but most people can't handle 100+lb loads. The average person can handle 50-60lbs without killing themselves and some can do up to 80ish. But that means 3-4 trips per elk if your doing it alone. To be perfectly honest most people are just to lazy and are not willing to put the effort out to kill elk. There are very few easy bull elk hunts on public land unless it's pure luck.

Being from Texas the elevation will kill you for a few days so I would come early and stay as long as you can. If nothing else be observant and learn all you can about what kind of terrain they consistently like. Most elk like between 5000' and 8000' here in SW ID (I'd concentrate around 6-7000') but there is a lot of real estate that falls in that elevation range.

Good info! Thanks

There is at least 2 kinds of elk/deer hunting in ID.

Desert and mountain.

Both can be productive. Both can be hard hunts.

For convenience I hunt Unit 69. The bull hunt is too early and way too short unless you have them well located.

The cow hunt is better all the way around but for freezer filling only.

Have a herd of 100 or so in my back yard from rut thru winter. About a 5 minute drive and 15 minute walk free m down town Blackfoot.

However it's pretty much land locked by housing except of course thru my place.

There is at least 2 kinds of elk/deer hunting in ID.

Desert and mountain.

Both can be productive. Both can be hard hunts.

For convenience I hunt Unit 69. The bull hunt is too early and way too short unless you have them well located.

The cow hunt is better all the way around but for freezer filling only.

Have a herd of 100 or so in my back yard from rut thru winter. About a 5 minute drive and 15 minute walk free m down town Blackfoot.

However it's pretty much land locked by housing except of course thru my place.

Sounds like a sweet set up!

IdahoCTD nailed it. Most people (90% as the sayings go) are unwilling to put forth the effort required to consistently kill elk. When you walk an honest 5 miles in to lay eyes on a herd of elk and ask yourself . . . "can I get a bull out of here" . . . you aren't ready. Killing an OTC bull in Idaho requires a dedicated commitment to conditioning and time. I'm a very minimalist compared to a lot of the 10%-ers that consistently kill bulls every year. My hunting buddy is an honest 10%-er, he does two Iron-men competitions each summer in preparation for Elk season. I suffer each time I hunt with him . . . and each time I hunt with him we end up with elk blood on our knives.

Look at the McCall units. Everyone else in Boise hunts in them . . . but that's because there are a lot of elk up there. Caution: they are very well-educated elk . . . but they are there. Find a place that requires at least a 3 mile, non-road, non-motorized hik . . . there's a good chance that there will be elk there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.