Oregon Antelope Guides:

HARPERC

Up to getting serious about using my 19 Oregon antelope points.

Likely to use a guide, any help with selecting a guide would be appreciated.

Always subject to the the draw, but time to have a plan for more than accumulating points. Looking for quality.

Prongs are the first critter on the hunt scenario in Oregon...shouldnt be that tough to find a quality billie for the taking....
What units have you a desire to hunt in....most really good billies are southeast areas....with exceptions....but units around Hart Mountain Refuge are where i would start vesting time....big boy area....
Got a couple 18" on video there...at 50 yards....
Contact Jason at his taxidermy shop...he mounts "lots of goats"....he may have the name of a guide or just great info....

Thanks! I've been in this process 20 years now, forgot to apply in time one year. So not in a hurry, and realize 19 points is just getting there for some of those units-especially the Hart Mountain.

True. Frank is a great resource.
I would also call the Fields General Store in Fields Oregon (541) 495-2275. They probably know a few guides.They may even know guides who have access to private lands in the Steens, Beatys Butte and Hart Mnt areas. They have lots of pics on the wall posted by guides who guide for sheep etc. in the Steens wilderness areas.
I will probably be hunting Steens next year with my brother. He has the points for that. It will be my 3rd time hunting there. There are a few wall hangers walking around for sure, but they tend to be scattered from the herds in August when the Steens and most other hunts are. Hart Mnt is better because it is in Sept.
For Hart Mnt. there is only one non resident tag allowed per year. As of 2018 a non resident would have had to have 23 preference points for a 100% chance at a draw. At 22 points the odds dropped to 17%. Hart Mnt will still be several years out for you..
I would look at Steens. It has a non resident quota of 3 tags per year (100% for non resident in 2018 with 17 points) or East Beatys Butte (100% for non resident in 2018 with 20 points.)
This is a good site to figure the draw odds in Oregon.
https://sites.google.com/site/oregontags/400-series---2018-pronghorn-antelope

I drew a steens antelope tag 2 years ago and there is definatly some quality there. Maybe less quantity but good quality. I dont know about guides but there are taxidermists that set up out there during the season and they may know more about what your after. I know artistic taxidermy was one and now I cant think of the others. Good luck with your hunt and less us know how it goes.

Good link thanks.

Once in a lifetime, so looking for quality, willing to play the game. We put in for Hart Mountain instead of points only, but it's essentially the same thing. Unlikely to wait long enough for that one.

Lots of nice antelope in Oregon on public property. At 20 points you are getting close to hunting Hart mt. There are several good units around Hart mt that you can hunt now. Antelope are easy to find and mostly on BLM ground. Go scout a unit and you will see you don't need a guide. Give me a pm with your phone number and I'd be glad to talk to you about the units here.

No help here - I just want to cheer you on! Good luck on the draw, and dang... Am looking forward to your hunt story & photos!!!

Oregon has some great antelope & amazing country.

I hear Oregon let's a mentored youth fill the tag. If I can't find something over the top I might go that route.
All my youths are in football that time, but might can get one free.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.