Options to get Started

Sax81

Toying with the idea of buying/building a handgun to get into long range handgun shooting. What are the options to get me out to 500 yards?
Looking primarily to hunt deer.

Lots of options. Thompson/Center Contender and Encore, Savage Striker and Remington XP-100 are a few. My current favorite is a T/C Encore in 250 Savage AI. It shoots 100 grain BTs at 2850 fps at 1/2 moa. I've not shot it beyond 300 yards. I am currently looking to replace the pistol scope for a high power rifle scope that will make long range shooting more enjoyable.
33D752E5-1056-418B-A26D-3ED50078EC88.jpeg

If you have a License to carry a concealed weapon you are fine. Otherwise yes you need a sportsman's permit (last I checked anyway).

Do the Encore/Contender barrels have accuracy limitations compared to the XP and striker? If so what are the practical range limitations of each?

So far the only limiting factor I've found is magnification. I regularly ring steel at 300yd and have flat stopped whitetail out to 250yd with my encore pistol in 243win with 15" barrel. Accuracy is dependent on how stable you can get. Check out Ernie's threads he's got lots of good input from shooting lots of different calibers. 260rem, 6.5-284norma or 6.5prc with a break so I can run a rifle scope will be my next barrel either would be just about perfect for deer out to further than 500yd.

The Nosler center-grip model 48 NCH/Nosler Custom Handgun, costs right at what you would spend on a custom XP-100, and they now make an Independence model 48 which is cheaper.
Of course I prefer the XP's to other platforms, but the Encore gives you a way to get into the game cheaper.
Any of the typical short action cartridges based off of the Creed or 308 Win case will get you there. once you jump to the 284 Winchester and the 6.5-284, necked up or down or into any of the SA magnums, you get higher impact velocities and less wind drift. I am not a fan of magnum bolt faces in the Encore myself

I have a Striker with 4 different barrels. 243, 308, 270, and 7mm08. I have no problem on a 10" steel at 1200 yards if I do my part. using a 20moa rail and a rifle scope 4-16x or a 6-24x
I have a 2-7 handgun s ope for hunting.
Yes get anything to get started you'll love it
Rupe

I've used my Contender in 7 TCU for both competition and hunting. I've shot it on the rifle silhouette course and scored 6 out of ten rams. I've killed a muley doe at around 75 yards. I wouldn't go too much farther than 150 with it. The bigger cases in short barrels will run out of room for powder expansion sooner or later. I think something like a 6mm BR family would be cool. I'm looking at building one in an Encore. A 224 valkyrie might work for a contender.

Toying with the idea of buying/building a handgun to get into long range handgun shooting. What are the options to get me out to 500 yards?
Looking primarily to hunt deer.

The Encore and the Contender have been brought up.
For the Encore, I prefer to stay with a head size no larger than the .473, which includes the 300 Savage family, the 284 Winchester family, 308 Winchester family and the 6.5 Creed family of cartridges.
For the Contender, the (30-30 AI 125 grain BT or a 155 A-Max/ELD-M) and the 7x30 Waters (120 grain BT) would be my go to rounds, but not for 500 yard deer. They will get you further than most people think though.
With the G-2, you can go with the 6.5 Grendel (130 grain ELD-M). You can also get a barrel for the 224 Valkyrie in a G-2, but some states don't allow 22 cal for deer. MGM will not build a 6.5 Grendel or 224 Valk for a Contender frame, but they will for a G-2.
I don't see the Contender or the G-2 being a good choice for 500 yard deer.

In a Encore with a 15-16 inch barrel you will be able to stay above an 1800 fps impact velocity at 500 yard with a 6.5 Creed, 6 Creed, or 25 Creed. Obviously, if you go with the 308 Win Family, 284 Winchester family, 06 family or the 280 AI family It gives you fudge room with bullet choices, and less wind drift problems.
Using a brake like Holland's Radial Baffle, will give you the best recoil reduction possible in my opinion.

I have stayed with the cartridges that have a .473 head size with the Encore in mind. If you go with a bolt rig, the possibilities are about endless.
With what you have in mind, though in a bolt rig, the Short Magnum cartridges are another option.

Sax81,
What is your budget for this build?

These are all great thoughts and I appreciate what has been a wealth of information. Budget would be around $1500 for now. I could see that going up if I waited more but then I would have to wait more 🤪.

I really don't see myself trying to go past 500 yards (I am a pastor and math isn't my strong suit and it seems like the math side of shooting starts to increase pretty dramatically the further you go out...could be wrong).

The nosler Pistol and encore intrigue me the most currently. I am excited though as I have a charger and had no idea it's range capabilities until I read some other threads. Gonna throw a rifle scope on that and hit the range this week.

The math side is easy. I use the Shooter ballistic app, but there is all kinds of ballistic solvers, software, apps for shooting at distance.
I prefer center-grip over rear grip as the balance is better IMO, but the Encore can be had cheaper.

What about starting with, say, a new Rem 700 short action and build a dedicated pistol?
Not sure of regulations, but I know you can't do it with an action that was previously used as a rifle.

Any Non-Designated action will work. The 700 SA is still a longer action than the original XP-100
You will be in a rear-grip set-up with either a wood stock or a chassis type set-up.

Last edited:
Look up SSK Industries.....JD Jones is a pioneer in this area. Personally, I would be looking at the 6mm TCU round.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.