Optimal caliber

bcshooter

Hi everyone,

I am new to hunting and shooting and am saving up for a hunting rifle for this fall. My question is what would be the optimal caliber for hunting game from deer up to moose and bear. I would also like to use the rifle for long range shooting. A couple buddies of mine suggested a .30-06, but i would like to hear your guys' opinion.

Thanks, bcshooter

30-06 is always a good choice. With proper bullets it will get a lot done. I think if you don't hand load, a .300 Winchester Magnum would be a great choice.

Given your new to shooting though, something lighter would be where I would start you off. Something in the .25-7mm range would with good bullets and placement get you off to a good start.

While some may say the '06 isn't the best for long range shooting, for anything out to 600 or so it is plenty. The original purpose of the round included breaking a cavalry charge by killing the horses, so moose and bears, no great strain. If you handload, you can use any bullet that your twist rate will stabilize that also groups well. If you already own one, go to it. If you are shopping for a rifle, I would suggest something in a 7mm diameter, as there are high BC bullets available that won't generate extreme recoil when pushed fast. The .30 cal bullets with similar BC will smack you noticeably firmer. A nice 6.5 bore will be even more pleasant to shoot, and many folks don't blush at the thought of going after bear and moose with a 140grainer out of even something as "moderate" as the centenarian 6.5x55 Swede. 6mm is getting a bit on the smallish side for the larger species you mentioned, but will still kill 'em, as has been demonstrated quite often. "Optimum" is a rather nebulous term in the LR world, and you can find thousands of opinions.

I like the 7mm Remington mag for a all purpose cartridge. Stupid simple to find ammo, brass, bullets etc. Load little 100 grainers for varmints to 180+ grain for those bigger animals. Not to mention it shoots pretty flat too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.