Allround caliber for lead-free...?

My experience with mono metal has been that the mono metal bullets need velocity to perform well and the performance window has been narrow. The best performance was near the max recommended design velocity, with velocities on the bottom end being inconsistent in there performance. (Expansion characteristics).

With your range limits, you should be OK if you can keep the velocity between 2500 and 3100 ft/sec for most mono metal bullets. Some custom bullets Like the Hammer have a better performance range of velocities and if you can get them they will work like conventional bullets.

Obviously, Bigger calibers would be best for wild boars and larger game, but if you can keep he velocity at or around 3000 ft/sec at POI all of them should perform well I would limit my self to no less that a 6.5 that met these requirements because of the running shot possibility's.

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the great info. I do share your opinion on the mono metals. The 7mm to .30 calibers seem to fit my situation best.... as I do feel the 6.5 would lack a bit of the power I would need for driven boar (also due to some regulation on minimum caliber seize in europe on boar. often .270 win is regarded as the minimum). I have tested most of the available lead-free in europe and find that most factory ammo is loaded to slow which limits the use allot...

We are getting just over 3000fps with our 166g Hammer Hunter in 30-06 26" barrel.

If we can get the U.S. ITAR regulations dropped them We will be able to ship outside the U.S. supposedly this is happening.

Steve

Lets hope they drop it. I know several people that would be looking to try new lead-free reloading ammo. We've tried importing perigrine from south-africa which took us 8 months. quite nice ammo. But not really feasible for us if it takes this long (with no guarantee is will always be max 8 months). some of my friends are legally allowed to re-load commercially and do not always know how much they need of each caliber.

I'm here in California, and we are stuck with only using lead-free projectiles in much of the state. Years ago I moved to the Barnes TTSX and TSX for all of our hunting rounds. We have had perfect results with the Barnes and I can strongly recommend those bullets out to 600 yards. We do not hunt past that distance so I cannot comment on performance past that range, but feel there are likely better lead-core bullet choices for hunting past 600. I have tried a couple other lead free bullets from other manufacturers and don't recommend those.

That said, and with your requirements, I would suggest a 30 caliber. 30-06, 300 Win Mag, or 300 WSM. Each of those with the proper bullet selection will meet your needs, and should be relatively easy to purchase if you don't have the time to reload. For reference, my wife shoots a 300 WSM exclusively, with a 180 TTSX at 3015, and it is a proven game-getter.

Another reason to consider the 30-06 over any of the bigger 30 cals is the fact you plan to do a lot of shooting in one sitting. If you are driving pigs and you unload a couple mags back to back real fast you would be better off with the least amount of powder to get the speeds you want. Less heat and better barrel life. A lot of shots close together makes heat fast. the more powder the more heat and the less shots it takes to make the same heat.

Last edited:
so the 30-06 and the 7mm rem seem to come out on top so far..... and maybe I should revisit the barnes ttsx/tsx range again for this cartridge.... at least untill hammer ammo starts shipping to europe. both will be available off the shelf in ammo... also LOS ammo does very nice HT bullets for reloading if I somehow do manage to get some spare time. but please do keep your thoughts on this coming... really like the input so far!

Norma now makes the eco strike line in 7x64 and about a dozen other cartridges, half of which are European.

true... however most rifle manufacturers have stopped support of the 7x64 in their newer interesting rifles... so that would leave me with self build... or the more expensive makes if I want things l ike 24 or 26 inch... semi weight barrel... 5 round mag. the 30-06 and 7 rem mag are better supported... most european makes are all about the 22inch barrels and shorter.... mainly due to the moderators being allowed in more parts of europe now... would not mind at all to stick with the caliber I have but i would struggle with the speed in the shorter barrels which I need for the mono metals... will try the eco-strike however.... hear good things about it..

Another make of ammunition that you may be able to get is the RWS Evolution Green. I see they make it in both the
30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag cartridges.

Another make of ammunition that you may be able to get is the RWS Evolution Green. I see they make it in both the
30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag cartridges.

yes they do... but at 5,50 $ a bang its not funny to go the range... RWS is to expensive for what you get if you ask me... ashame as its a good product.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.