Choosing calibers for Stateside hunting

Bush Boy

Long Range Hunter asked me, as a new member, to post something which is great 'coz I have a good question...
Although I was born in the Outback, nowadays I live in alpine Bavaria in southern Germany. I shoot competitively but it's hunting I really enjoy.
Problem? First off, the laws here are so restrictive it's just one long winded hassle, and second sitting up in a forest hide or on a high log seat waiting for folk to push game my way just ain't my cup of tea - in the Aussi Bush you have to go find your own game.
Seeing as I'm a seventeen year member of the Pentagon's SAME and seeing as my German wife's family have a home in West Palm Beach I've decided to give up on hunting here and hunt in the USA whenever I am in North America, which brings me to my question.
I want to buy a T/C Encore Pro Hunter and two barrels, a muzzle loader for those turkeys in Texas and a rifle for longer range tracking... Which rifle caliber do you folks reckon I should buy for varmint and the occasional bigger beasts hunts?
Oh, and thanks for a good site.

Last edited:
If it was me I would choose at least a 243 because that is the minimum for hunting game in most western states, Works good on deer and antelope,also varmints. Then If you decided to go after elk a 7mm or larger would be my choice. Now you have three barrels. Sorry.

you never really stated what "bigger beasts" are but if your talking about deer and stuff then you can not go wrong with a 243. win. Very accurate round, its also fast, flat and hits hard enough for whitetail out too 300 yards. Now if "bigger Beasts" count as elk, bear or moose i would choose at LEAST a 6.5 mm of some sort. A 260, 6.5x47 or something along those lines but preferably something like a 7mm or bigger.

Yeah, thanks Matt and WyoElk. I used to shoot a 243 in the Outback, with military shells from the Czech commi army that somehow got to Australia - the occasional was a dud but they hit flat and hard.
Three barrels sounds correct Matt, but I reckon I'll wait 'til I'm invited up north before I buy a barrel for Elk et al, but when I do what about a 416 Rigby barrel? The 416 Rigby works well for mates in SA and Rhodesia.

a 416 maybe if your planning on breaking your shoulder everytime you pull the trigger. The 416 is meant to be shot once and once only. At the game. If you had to sight in you wont shoot for a week. The 416 isn't needed on elk as for it is classified under African dangerous game cartridge.

My suggestion is starting with something that shoots flat and hits hard. I shoot a 7mm rem mag with 160 grain accubond and a 300. wsm shooting 180 grain accubond. My suggestions would be something like a 300. wsm or win mag. Very versatile and can be used up close and personal on anything or way out there and touch them far. If you wanted a larger caliber then strongly take a look at the 300. RUM and you can take that and move up to a 338 edge.

My 416 Remington Magnum is not that bad to shoot as long as you are standing or sitting at a bench. But agree it is for Dangerous game mainly.

Thanks gents! I appreciate your local fellah input. I'm going to use the barrels on a single shot Thompson/Center 'coz I've always been drawn to the 'make the one shot count' school but your points about the 416 Rigby are still good even though I won't be pop popping away.
Actually, I've broken my left (preferred) should a few year back and Claudia did her left one when I was just a week out of my sling - call it a family event 'coz her father followed us within six months. Oh, and a tip for you all is to make sure you and your roommate always break the other side's shoulder, not the same side, so you can way way better enjoy recovering... I digress...
I am with you Matt and WyoElk, so I'll go with either a 7mm rem mag or a 300 depending on which works better on an Encore Pro Hunter.
Hey out there, any thoughts on which, the 7mm or the 300, for an Encore?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.