Optics comparison between IOR and Tasco Super Sniper

Jeff In TX

I stopped in SWFA Optics last week looking for a new scope for a new gun project for my son. He wants a .22-250 for pig hunting so I was looking for a scope. I had heard a lot of good stuff about the Tasco Super Snipers and thought for $300.00 that wouldn't be a bad scope to put on his new rifle.

I asked to look at the 10X SS and asked how the optics were. I was told they could compete with a lot of upper end scope lines. Well then, I asked the gentleman behind the counter to bring out a fixed IOR 10X tactical so I could compare the two.

Well to cut to the chase, there was no comparison. I set both scopes up on the counter so I could look through one and then go to the other. I was looking at a big yellow building across the parking lot (probably 125 yards away) with big burgundy colored writing on it. I looked through the Tasco SS got it focused. The view through the scope looked good so I then looked through the IOR scope. WOW was all I could say to myself. The brightness, color and clarity of the building and advertising on jumped out at me. I then checked the Tasco and the building actually looked grainy and the colors were dull. No comparison what so ever.

I said to the guy that brought me the scopes, I thought you said the Tasco Optics could compete with higher end scopes. He said they could, but not against IOR's, not to mention the IOR was almost 3 times the price. Which thinking back was a fair statement?

Still not sure what scope we'll put on his new rifle. We're going to go back and I'll let him pick the one he wants for under $300.00

Jeff,

If you looked through the rear parallax model you probably had just a little difficulty getting the image sharp.
The M series gives a better image than the rear focus.

It's really difficult to beat the IOR scope for image quality, but on heavy calibers you'll find the stated eye relief is somewhat optomistic.
I have the non-tactical 2.5-10x IOR and love it, althougyh on my 338 Lapua it does make you pay attention to head position /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike
Granbury

Thanks for the review, Jeff.

You IOR floosy you!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...sakofan.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hoodcounty,

They didn't have a side focus SS in stock at the time. But I focused the SS model I had as clear as I could get it. I know you have one of the SS models and I'm guessing you like it??

What's your overall opinion of the SS scope?

By the way, I did order the XOTIC scope from SWFA. It's due to ship sometime in March. I figure with the warranty they're offering, I really can't go wrong.

My son liked the SS, but the optics are a concern.

I looked through a SS 10x and a Simmons Aetec at a target 200yds away as the sun got down the simmons was clearer and brighter

I haven't been impressed with the SS scopes at all , you'll be much better served with a Leo or Nikon

Jeff,
I don't have "an" SS.
I have 5 with another unit somewhere in the world of UPS making it's way to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the M series alot, and have yet to tear one up, and have been using them since the mid 1980's.

Recently sent one back for evaluation after about 40,000 rounds of 308, just to see what the factory said. No problems found.

Alot of these units are in SW Asia at the moment, which may be why SWFA was out of stock.
They're difficult to beat in the under $800.00 price range.

I did a side by side with a Simmons, and the Bushnell Trophy I had, the SS10x42 gave me more clarity and seems to be made much better. I keep hearing the SS never loses its Zero, where as the Bushnell has given me problems. The Bushnell still runs over 300.00, and its not even close to being in the same league as the SS, and the SS was 299.00.
The only glass Ive seen that is better is one of my Uncles Tactical Leupolds that cost him $1,200.00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I couldnt be happier with this SS, and am buying another for the next rifle I buy. Just an opinion from a fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

VLS9turned.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Cool gun, sniper... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, shes my baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.