IOR Glass Comparison

samson

How do IOR Scopes compare to NF, Mark 4, or Conquest? I am interested in Glass Quality and Repeatabilty.

I have never owned a IOR, but I just sold a Leupold LR, a Zeiss Conquest and I have a Zeiss Diavari for sale. They are all going so we can buy another Nightforce. I like them that well. It's nice knowing they always return to zero.

JMO.

Jeff

When you get to a certain level of glass you are going to have a hard time to notice a difference. I will say IOR have very good glass and some say it is better than Nightforce but I really like the Nightforce glass and cannot see the difference. I can see the difference between the IOR and the Leupold but I still would take the Leupold over the IOR do to the reliability seams to be better with a Leupold. I have used IOR and I do like the but Nightforce is what I would go with.

Mike @ CSGW

I traded off an 8-32BR NF for an IOR 6-24 few years ago and feel I got the best end of that deal !! Also sold off a 12-42 BR NF to fund another IOR purchase.
There is a reason I own 6 IORs and no NF, Conquests or high end Leupolds= Its all about glass quality and the fact that most are a few years old so they where a LOT cheaper than NF!!

listen to what brother Broz says! it's scarry to me when i hear people say the IOR scopes don't repeat as good as a Leupold. my impression of Leupolds is that they are a very poor tracking scope. of the scopes you mentioned, the Nightforce stands alone, WAY in front of the others. I wish i had a hundred bucks for every time i've heard someone say all their gun problems went away when they put a Nightforce on their gun. if you don't have repeatability, you have nothing. i don't care how clear the glass, magnification, length, weight, crosshair system, or really anything else about the scope. all of these qualities represent about 1% in importance. holding zero and repeatability are at least 99% of their value. this would be the opinion of one redneck from Pa. as always, YMMV.

if the Nightforce is too much money, i would consider an S111 Sightron. some people that know optics very well rate them on par with the Nightforce and certainly better than the others you mentioned.

Last edited:
How do IOR Scopes compare to NF, Mark 4, or Conquest? I am interested in Glass Quality and Repeatabilty.
The glass is better than all of those, and repeatability is perfect.
it's scarry to me when i hear people say the IOR scopes don't repeat as good as a Leupold.
Who are the people you have you heard say that? I've never heard such a thing and in my experience nothing could be further from the truth.

Holding zero and tracking perfectly is one of the strongest characteristics of IORs.

The problems (that aren't user induced) they have had with reliability are the complete failures of mainly the new FFP 3-18 (also a couple of SFP 3-18's but those have been pretty rare) on hard kicking rifles. Those have been real and while I haven't heard of any problems with the latest batch it's still something to keep in mind.

What you DON'T need to worry about is holding zero or tracking perfectly. That, along with the glass, is one of their strongest points.

Not sure who they are myself? After useing IORs for many years they have proven to be both tops in glass quality and repeatability.
If mounted properly IORs will be as repeatable as they come! Have yet to have an issue other than a soft tube with any of the 6 IORs, alien the rings and dont overtighten!
IOR scopes will have better glass in them without a doubt and be just as repeatable as a NF. If your life depends on just one scope then NF gets the nod but if glass quality is a priority then IOR is the answer. Leupold and the Conquest line dont even come close!!

IOR%20scopes%20009.jpg

I think you misunderstood--they said reliability (as in some people have broken them), not repeatability (as in tracking, returning to zero).

you may have a point. but, they also might have meant they wouldn't hold zero or repeat, which would make them not very reliable.

I think you get what you pay for -you won't go wrong w/any of the riflescopes you mention.
Nightforce are built super tough -they didn't get their reputation through a big marketing campaign they earned it.

IOR great glass and tracking according to many people in the know.

Zeiss conquest real good glass and repeatable clicks -i have three 4.5x14-44 & two 6.5x20-50's -the first zeiss 6.5x20-50 did not return to zero everytime without passing it up one or two clicks -then back on zero.I'm in a habit of doing that anyway so no biggy for me.
I turned the turret from stop to stop many many times it seems to have 'broke in' and returns to zero 95%? of the time but like i said i'm in a habit of passing up my clicks by two then getting set.

Leupold needs to improve their glass a little -or bring their price down..

Dave: How many leupolds don't track for you? I have 7 and every one returns to zero. I have never heard of a mark 4 not tracking. It seems you have a real distaste for leupold and a nightfore will shoot the gun for you. I have one nxs but I really don't get all that excited every time I use it. It's built like a tank, yes. The glass is good but not superior. The Ior and s&b kill the nightforce in glass quality along with swaro. The nightforce is to heavy for backpack hunting(which is what I do)so basically for me it's a glorified bench scope, or if you drive around on atvs all day.

all i can say is from my own experience, i have compared the s&b to the ior 3-18ffp
to the mk4 and nightforce. the glass on the ior was a VERY close second place to the s&b, but the FFP scope did break. afterwards i traded the ior for a nightforce and my buddy traded his ior for a mk4. all scopes mentioned that i have played with were more that adequate for LR hunting. i still have the 4-16PM2 and 5.5-22NSX. my buddy has had great tracking and return to zero with the MK4. if the ior FFP gets rid of the reliability issues...i'll probably own one of those again too.
greg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.